YS-X6 flight controller

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, thanks a lot! And could you please compare YS vs MK is it compareble in stability in wind?
I have MK in my heavy dslr video ship and consedering YS as a sevond one!

I'll be able to do that soon, I want to move the YS to my Droidworx AD6 frame with Photohigher AV130 so I can get a good idea of wind stability from the camera point of view. Certainly the YS appears to have what it takes to equal the MK and it is a lot more "tunable" than the WKM, the YS has real PID settings that can be changed. If the stability can equal MK in the wind for APV is something that needs to be tested and I haven't quite gotten to that point yet though, still working out the basic operations and learning how to tune the software to make it fly the way I want. I have a much better understanding of how it all works now but I'm really just getting started on learning how each parameter change affects the flight stability, that will take a lot of flight time with many changes to the settings before I fully understand it.

My impression right now is that it will be possible to match MK stability with the YS, I had hoped that the WKM could do it and it may yet, but in the real world the WKM cannot match MK for all around stability right now unless you use their S800 frame and Zenmuse gimbal and that's just too restrictive and expensive in my opinion. The YS has the potential to be used with any frame and gimbal and be as good at it as MK, if it really can still needs much testing to find out for sure. My ultimate goal is put the YS on the Cinestar 6 frame, I need to know a lot more about it and develop a lot more trust in it before that happens.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
interesting reading...good luck with this guys.

can it be flown with a traditional rc transmitter? just curious

thanks,
bart

Absolutely it can, the thing about the wifi setup is not only can it be used to control the craft but the biggest advantage to me is being able to land and in a matter of less than a minute change any controller parameter that I need to using my Android phone and be back in the air without ever having to hookup a cable or even go near the aircraft, the rest of it is a bonus and some of it is really neat. I can take my phone, go into the GCS map screen for the flying location, pick a point of interest that I want to fly around, then tap the start button and all I need to do is control the speed of the circle and the altitude I'm flying at from the TX, the YS does the rest. The potential of this for APV use is huge, especially if you've ever tried to manually fly a steady circle around an object while recording video. I've practiced that exact scenario a lot and it's D**n hard to do smoothly and evenly, I expect it's a piece of cake with the YS and I'll find out soon enough.

Ken

Kilby

Hey Ken,

This is looking pretty cool so far. Do you have any more info about the possible range when flying with waypoints? Does the wi-fi limit it in that regard?

-Terry

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey Ken,

This is looking pretty cool so far. Do you have any more info about the possible range when flying with waypoints? Does the wi-fi limit it in that regard?

-Terry

I'm not sure they've finalized exactly what the limit on the free version will be but as of right now it's 4 waypoints at a maximum of 100 meters. With the upgrade to the Enterprise license there is no distance limit that I know of at the moment but definitve information is hard to come by as the limits they impose on the home market controllers are more restrictive than what they'll be selling in the rest of the world, or so I'm told, and of course all the existing documentation is in Mandarin.

Right now one of the limiting factors would be the range of the wifi, to help that out I dug up an old WRT54G wireless router that I had gathering dust on the shelf and set it up to talk to the YS. I was testing it out last night with the router powered by a lipo battery and it all seems to work just fine. The WRT has external antennas so it would be fairly easy to setup the multi with an OSD and use a 2.4 gHz patch antenna with a tracking system to get maximum range from the wifi, Exactly what the range would be I don't know, certainly less than what you could get with a set of 900mHz xbees and I'm sure that will be an option soon enough whether they do it or someone else does it aftermarket. I don't know if the wifi has to remain in constant communication when flying waypoints, only way to find out for sure would be to try it out at the big field this weekend. They granted the first 20 buyers an unlimited license until June 15 so I currently have more waypoint range than I probably do wifi range right now and access to an open field large enough to test it out, just have to find the time to go there and do it.

Ken

cryhavoc38

Quadrammit!!
I'll be taking my AD8 HLE out to my local flying club field tomorrow and put the YS-X6 through some of its advanced features.
Really liking the capabilites I've experimented with so far!

wbrown

This flight controller looks great. One question. I dont have an android, or iphone. Is this a necessary thing for operation?

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Currently, it's required to have so you can change parameters / setting. Or you would have to use a emulator that allow you to run Android app on your PC. The PC software is coming early June.

wbrown

Wow. It is fresh gear then. I think I might wait till the pc software is released.

It would be great being able to adjust settings via wifi but I have a windows phone!

Last edited by a moderator: