You will not believe what camera took this video.

Quinton

Any camera can be made to look good.
Im sure a lot of you have already seen it but have a look at the Zacuto great camera shootout on Google.
That will open a lot of eyes, even though it was made a couple of years ago, but it compared the likes of an iPhone with a Red, and with the right setup you'd be hard pushed to find the difference, however its all about Dynamic Range

http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011
Also the 2nd one the revenge..
http://www.zacuto.com/shootout-revenge-2012..

This is were maybe the Black Magic Pocket Camera may come into it more.
For the price and weight of it, it would be hard to beat for quality currently.

Saying that its all in the eye of the beholder, the 5D doesnt have much Dynamic Range, but people love the look of it.
Only the pixel peepers will notice any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

That's exactly what DennyR is always talking about......says the man who owns a Kratos

Chris

Hi Chris
How is that Kratos now that you have had some time with it? beautiful machine but does it deliver what you expected from it. And yes the GoPro 3+ is a great camera when you change the lens. It is not just the image quality it is how such a small camera changes the whole aspect of the model design, especially the accuracy of the stability for such little cost. We have a guy here with a S800 EVO which flies so much better than the original one. And what does he do, he has removed the Zenmuse/Nex and fitted a H3-2D GoPro and gets better results.
I have a bunch of Hero 3+'s now and they are all tweaked and twisted in various ways. Way to Go IMHO.....

As we all know it is the man behind the camera and the editor that make the biggest difference so who cares what you use if it does your thing.
If you take a look around Youtube etc. it becomes quite clear that there is a much higher and growing proportion of good productions shot with small quads than with Heavy stuff. DJI for all their faults had more than just one vision into the future.

DennyR

Pimp my Quad are selling some 60 Deg. It is good if you have a well balanced vibration free gimbal. 72 deg is a lot easier to work with. Set focus at 50 feet to 150 feet.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
The idea of c-mount lens is for having a range of options. This way you can adjust your aperture, zoom and focus from the lens and get sharper lens than is currently available for gopro.
A workman is only as good as his tools; his tools in this case being his mind, his eye and his camera. If you let the camera bottleneck your photos and videos then you will not know what you are really capable of.

DennyR

If it is just high resolution you want from the lens then you will probably find that these small lenses are the best. If you want to use the camera for creating cinematic effects then you need focus, aperture and zoom controls, all of these functions result in a compromise in the basic lens design. A prime lens devoid of these functions will be the sharpest unless the manufacturing process is flawed. This is why high resolution Aerial Photogrammetric lenses are simple using only a small number of elements with the correction set towards infinity. That is the goal for any AP lens. Ground based video is a totally different ball game. If you want to see further lens design compromises particularly at wide angles then look at the DSLR. It is a classic example due to the mirror. The weight and the size is simply the result of overcoming the problems, it has nothing to do with making the lens sharper, it is designed with multiple and complex lens elements just for creating functions that are alien to what is needed for AP. They all have a performance peak at around F8-F11 so at other apertures they fall away from that which is optimal.
Bottlenecks in your workflow are more likely to come from trying to use extra functions in the air that will restrict your ability to concentrate on being creative with what you have. You don't need aperture control because of the high dynamic range and you don't need differential focussing in the air for any good reason and you can have a depth of field that ranges from infinity to just a few feet. High zoom ratios are not yet a viable function until we get beyond brushless gimbal control and sub .005 resolution with electronic voice coil vibration dampening. Low zoom functions are possible to quite a high standard with modern software. FWIW...

I am starting to play with the Back-Bone ribcage mod:

Got my GoPro Ribcage installed and tested with my Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal.
It fits fine, just used some longer screws to use the default gimbal/GoPro bracket.
The stock GoPro lens plus Ribcage is light enough that with my basic testing the gimbal worked fine. I also tried a heavy 35mm F2.0 M12 lens (15 grams versus the stock 6 grams) and it was too heavy for the gimbal to work. So if you can keep the M12 lens around 6 grams you should be good. Now I just need to find a 6gram M12 lens with no fisheye to test with. I have one but it is too short to focus properly in the ribcage M12 ring. Extension tube on the way…

Zenmuse H3-2D + Back-Bone GoPro/Ribcage weight test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Y71gMbsis

Quick Stock Lens versus F35mm HackHD Lens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikgFuxREiw

Install pictures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKXxrzi4EI

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
You can still get pretty good results with the standard GoPro using a few tricks and in a basic gimbal, and as much as I like the idea of the Ribcage setup I don't think I will be pulling apart any of my Gopro's just yet.

Pete

You can still get pretty good results with the standard GoPro using a few tricks and in a basic gimbal, and as much as I like the idea of the Ribcage setup I don't think I will be pulling apart any of my Gopro's just yet.

Pete

So Pete What are your secrets? arrow field of view? Software fix???
Please ell
Regards
Crispy

Bowley

Does changing the lens improve the light and colour characterics of the Gopro, even the 3 black is still hopeless in low light and so characteristically 'gopro'.

Does changing the lens improve the light and colour characterics of the Gopro, even the 3 black is still hopeless in low light and so characteristically 'gopro'.

Well it lets you remove the stock lens which has an IR filter. Then you can use low light lenses without IR filters and such.

I just ordered a specific low light M12 lens from readymaderc.com so when it gets in I can do some testing with it...

Bowley

Well it lets you remove the stock lens which has an IR filter. Then you can use low light lenses without IR filters and such.

I just ordered a specific low light M12 lens from readymaderc.com so when it gets in I can do some testing with it...

I see, so possibly yes, must have a peek at said lenses. things seem to be moving so quick its bewildering sometimes in all aspects of flying cameras and stuff. Its a struggle to keep up. Thanks Jesse.

dannyzic

Awesome! Please keep us updated on the lens selection. This seems like it could be a great way to take better advantage of the hero3!

Danny