yge esc freewheeling - experience?

FerdinandK

Hello Multicopterists,

Just want to ask if somebody already tried the freewheeling of the yge speed controllers, and what effect you got regarding the power consumption. Since our escs are in part-load all the time, this seems to be a reasonable improvement.
Any experience or experiments or tests so far?

Some Helicopter guys are talking about 7% to 10% better performance.

best regards
Ferdinand

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'd like to know what exactly this means, "freewheeling". I've heard the term, but haven't seen an explanation what it does.

I have heard heli guys complain that it tears up the one-way bearing.

FerdinandK

This is called "active freewheeling", it means that the electricity induced by the motor spinning when not fired by the esc, is not "burned" in diods, it comes back to the fets, and finds its way back to the battery/capacitor. The esc in partload is not heating up that much and it is more efficient during part load.
The heli guys are complaining, that when the run the esc in governor mode (which we do not use at MC) together with the "active freewheeling" there are some side-effects, (the rpm might drop too much and not recover in time).

This is what I understood what it does, to me is sounds reasonable.

best regards

Ferdinand

Yes, both Herkules II and III support active freewheeling. As far as I know yge esc have throttle averaging - filtering making them slow for multicopter use.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yes, I think that "helicopters escs" have filtering. I read somewhere the Superbrain (which I'm using on my heli) does straight 100hz filtering, regardless of how fast you are pushing the signal. (Most ESC's filter 8 samples, not fixed time). Kind of a bummer because I wanted to use it with an external governor, but I'm not sure it's going to work well.

Definitely wouldn't work well on a MR.

ChrisViperM

Yes, I think that "helicopters escs" have filtering. I read somewhere the Superbrain (which I'm using on my heli) does straight 100hz filtering, regardless of how fast you are pushing the signal. (Most ESC's filter 8 samples, not fixed time). Kind of a bummer because I wanted to use it with an external governor, but I'm not sure it's going to work well.

Definitely wouldn't work well on a MR.

Just out of interest.....what's the "Superbrain" ?

Chris

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Turnigy Superbrain ESC. I'm using the 100A unit. 12S rated for $90 and comes with really good datalogging. Pretty good value, IMO. The soft start isn't as soft as I'd like, and governor isn't great. But it works well enough for the price. I mean, the governor works, but it creates a tiny waggle in the tail because it's overgained.

I've been trying to find an affordable "dummy" ESC, just like a Plush or something, rated at least 8S and 80A which I can flash with SimonK to use with an external governor. No luck so far. :(

Hi guys,
active freewheeling has not only benefit in terms of avoiding powerloss in the ESC.
Due to the "active breaking" effect, the the deceleration especially with big motors and props is much faster than without freewheeling. This increases massively the flight stability at multicopters.
All Herkules ESCs support AFW, please check the latest test videos on http://vimeo.com/channels/herkules with the impressive flight stability.

Andreas