yet another new build - needing some guidance

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That multiwii board is the simplest of the Multiwii available - but it's still multiwii. The key to the KK2 is that it has stripped all the extras away and makes it as simple to plug and play as possible.

There is a huge amount of info out there about the multiwii, but unfortunately due to its open source nature ( which is what makes it amazing to begin with), the info is really spread out.

I suggest you do some research first to determine whether you're comfortable with the inherent learning curve. It's not super-tough, but it takes some tweaking.

si3po

That multiwii board is the simplest of the Multiwii available - but it's still multiwii. The key to the KK2 is that it has stripped all the extras away and makes it as simple to plug and play as possible.

There is a huge amount of info out there about the multiwii, but unfortunately due to its open source nature ( which is what makes it amazing to begin with), the info is really spread out.

I suggest you do some research first to determine whether you're comfortable with the inherent learning curve. It's not super-tough, but it takes some tweaking.

I'm sure I can deal with the learning curve, but as I've seen there's plenty of support for when things go a bit off course if I need it.

What I'm thinking of is forwards compatibility and future-proofing. The MW board also has a 3 axis gyro, magnetometer, barometer and accelerometer with support for GPS when I want it down the road...

I know it'll be a much steeper learning curve than the KK but weighing up the benefits, am I right in saying the MW board is better?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
As you know - "better" is subjective. :) You really need to determine your objectives with this quad. If you are using it for learning - then the KK2 might be worth waiting for.

If you are looking to progress fairly rapidly, and move into features like GPS etc multiwii might be best.

I chose the Witespy Mega EZ3.0 board because he does some work on the programming and also has specific boards made for him with "EZ" connectors. Not sure if there are others like that.

I was ok with the learning curve - but I have not been airborne much. The challenge and promise of advanced features was part of the appeal for me - and if you are similar, then the multiwii might be better for you. If you decide on multiwii, I'd consider the Mega boards which have more options for the future. Better components too.

si3po

In terms of what I want out of this quad, ideally I'm looking for a big step up in terms of capability above and beyond my v922... Not asking much at all over a toy grade quad I know.

Also to have the ability to build up and improve the quad in the future would be a big plus point for me, the KK is great for it's near plug-n-play ability, and would certainly be replaceable in the future if I decided to upgrade to the MW... but to have that capability out of the box on a new quad is very tempting.

Having GPS, position hold, RTH etc would be very nice, but again I can add these later if I don't use the MW off the bat and go for the KK for the new build instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's exactly right (IMHO). There is always the chance to add on later if you find yourself looking to upgrade the capabilities. I knew that I wanted to eventually be able to do some aerial filming - so I wanted a steady FC with some extra capabilities like RTH, gimbal control and GPS.

That being said, I initially just wanted to FLY the quad - and although many of the issues I've had were not multiwii related (as far as I can tell), I wonder if I would have been in the air quicker and easier with a simpler FC. My gut was to get the KK2, but they were out of stock awaiting the release of the 2.1. Being the impatient pr^#k that I am, I went for the inexpensive, highly customizable, feature-packed mulitwii. I have to admit, I dream of something like the X-Aircraft SuperX. So damn expensive... and possibly worth any penny f I remain grounded for much longer :)

Also, I will say again - I REALLY wish I had gone with a lighter frame. I chose the x650f for what looked like a good set of stacking plates and included high landing gear for possible filming. This thing is a pig (as most HK knockoffs are), and in the end - the stacking plates are nearly useless, and the landing gear should be called "crash gear!"

Another thing I should mention is that if you really think you're (or any of us) going to get immersed in this hobby , it may be best to think of it in terms of first build, second build, third...

The approach of adding onto an initial build may not be the healthiest approach - but rather building the first one for learning, practice and fun. Accept it for what it is - use the experience to develop opinions on what could be done better, what's perfect already - and a plan of how to successfully implement that in a second build. Opinions and experience will likely change together over time.

si3po

Thanks. Yeah I'm looking like I'll stick with the KK at the moment and try to source it from another retailer in the UK as Hobby King doesn't stock it here, and the shipping costs mean I could pay more for one from a UK based seller and still be better off in the pocket.

Regards the frame, im thinking for a first build that I really should stay light, but also strong, so I'm opting for the alu/glass fibre x550 which comes in at 300g but still strong and easily repaired

jbrumberg

I think the key in the beginning is simple to set up, use, strong, light, and easily repaired or replaced. In hindsight I would have some things differently- mainly frame, but one reason I went with the HAL was the protective dome. I still like metal, and round booms, but.... The things we discover along this path.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think that looks like a good frame - and less than HALF of mine :) What was I thinking....

simple to set up, use, strong, light, and easily repaired or replaced

Wise words from Jay. I think this mentality leads to the quickest, and most fun flying right out of the gate. Looks like you are on a good path Si.

si3po

So si3po- are you going with the HK X525 frame?

No. I'm going for the slightly bigger x550 instead, it's over 150g less weight than the x525 and the uk store had stock!!

Regards protecting the important bits, I've seen users protecting their electronics with small circular plastic food tubs, I've got plenty of these at home and can easily get more from work if needed.

si3po

Just bought myself the first parts of my first ever quad build.

I found a KK Multicopter v5.5 BlackBoard for a very reasonable £19.97 (~$33) from a UK supplier along with a 12awg 4-way power breakout cable. Just need to complete my order on HobbyKing and press the "checkout" button.... But that'll have to wait until payday.

si3po

Thanks guys. I received my kk 5.5 blackboard today, it's flashed with v4.7 quad copter in '+ configuration' but I need it in x-copter config. I have a usbasp and avrdude s/ware but can't find what's the best/most compatible firmware for it?

Anybody able to point me in the right direction please?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I received my kk 5.5 blackboard today, it's flashed with v4.7 quad copter in '+ configuration' but I need it in x-copter config. I have a usbasp and avrdude s/ware but can't find what's the best/most compatible firmware for it?

Anybody able to point me in the right direction please?

this seems like like a question for jay - he's the KK guy. For my own clarification, what's the KK5.5??? I thought they were 2.0 & 2.1? Or is this different than the HK versions?

jbrumberg

It's definitely a different board with a different setup as I and a couple of other helpers recently found out trying to help out another builder. I learned from this. I might still be useful. It's definitely wired up a little differently. Si3po I will check as well as to firmware. Good luck.

si3po

Thanks Jay. I certainly looks very different to the HK boards...I think it's similar in layout to the original kk boards but running newer firmware, although I may be wrong.

si3po

Thanks again Jay, I've taken a look but I think that link isnt discussing the v5.5 boards using the same firmware.... I only say that as my kk5.5 has the AtMega168PA as is brains, not the AtMega48 as in the original KK boards...