Yet another Motor/Prop Question using 16" APC MR Props

So here's what I got going. I'm flying a 950 CarbonCore Hex with MK3638 motors, 2 X 6500mah 4S, 3-axis gimbal, Blackmagic Pocket, MK stack/ESC's. Whole thing weighs around 10lbs. I have been flying the 16x5.5MR APC props for 4 months now. The MK ACC upgrade gave me a terrible yaw twitch that I'm working through. I'm building another identical copter but want to try to do better with motors. Here's what I've got for testing.

APC 14x4.7SF props= 36 amps in hover
APC 16x5.5MR props=31.5 amps in hover

I have the new APC 14x5.5MR props sitting here but my prop mounts are all stripped out so I'm awaiting new ones. From all the crap I've read here and on other forums the 770kv MK motors shouldn't work well swinging 16" props with 4S but on my rig they work splendidly. I did normal flying around my field and got a solid 16 mins of flight time to 13.9v loaded. The SF props just don't do it as well as the monster 16" MR's.

Question: If I build my new copter with the 16" MR props should I try some 400kv motors? APC lists max RPM for the MR props as 105,000/inches so that's 6500rpm for the 16". My motors don't get warm and the ESC's stay under 50C. I just want to get the best combo here and like I mentioned above, everything I've read says the 770kv motors I'm using should be burning up from these props. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I don't want to change from 4S because I have so many batteries that are relatively new. Thanks for reading and giving some discussion to this.

LOTCP

tombrown1

Apologies in advance that I'm not addressing your question, but,

Are you running a Y6? I didn't think 16" would work on a 950 CC Y6, let alone a flat hex.

Thanks,

Tom

Apologies in advance that I'm not addressing your question, but,

Are you running a Y6? I didn't think 16" would work on a 950 CC Y6, let alone a flat hex.

Thanks,

Tom

No apologies needed. The more info folks have the better informed we all are. The 950 CarbonCore Hex with 16" MR APC props has almost 3" clearance tip-to-tip.

View attachment 15207

Attachments

• tipclearance.jpg
    tipclearance.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 298

tombrown1

Wow! I had No idea you could go that big on a flat 950. Thanks for the info.

If you go lower kv and big props you should get better flight times.

Weve been using the tmotor navigators at 400kv with 14" tmotor props. Works great so far. 21 lbs auw on a x8 with 2x 8000mah 6s. About 10-11 minutes flight time.

6s opens up your options considerably.

If things are going well for you then why are you looking to switch components?
do you want more time or more load capacity?

best,

tom

I'm building another chopper using Mk gear and I want to make it better. I got my prop mounts just now, hopefully weather will be good. I can upgrade the recoms and go 6S on the new build.

tombrown1

Ok. 6s and better motors should do you. Look at low kv tmotors. This will give you more power and longer flight times.