Xoar wooden props

Blacksails

Hi guys,

I've got a lovely set of xoar 10x5 electric beechwood props on my heavy lift octo. My question is... How long do wooden props last before they're likely to fail? Hard question, I know. A better way to put it might be how many flights would you feel comfortable putting through a set before swapping them out on a very expensive octo carrying cam equipment etc?

Cheers

Blacksails

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Blacksails,
I had 10x5 Xoar props on for 4 months before I crashed. I still have them and wouldn't hesitate to put them on another helicopter. They're still good so long as they're not split or splintering. Wood props on real planes are put into use for decades without issues so I think a few years on a helicopter would be fine. Just keep an eye on them, give them a little poke once in a while and enjoy! Cracked wood gives a different sound than solid wood if you tap them lightly with something like a piece of wood dowel.
Bart

Blacksails

Cheers bartman. That's a relief. It's my first wooden set, I've only ever had the apc's etc which after a while always seemed to throw a blade or two

jes1111

10x6 is too high a pitch ratio - anything over 50% (i.e. 10x5) is likely to produce a phenomenon called "blade stall" when hovering. Certainly this will reduce lift and therefore flight responsiveness and efficiency. Worst case - you won't be able to take off ;)

Generally, we need low pitch props - something between 50% ratio (not at all ideal but sometimes it's all that's available- like a 13x6.5) and ~28-30% (like a 14x4). The higher pitch-ratio propellers are design for fixed-wing aircraft - the high pitch enables the propeller to get a better "bite" on the air when travelling at high forward airspeeds - something we certainly don't need!

I get my props from here - huge choice - "JXF" is the factory that makes for Xoar.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
on a flat configuration like a flat quad, hexa, or okto the 10x5's should be fine. flatter pitch will max out your motors' RPMs if you're on the heavy side of things and I like the softer response of higher pitch props.
on my coaxial quads im using 12x5's on top and 12x7's on the bottoms and the interesting thing is that I have a lot of stability in descending flight (read that as no wobbles). my tops all turn clockwise and the bottoms all turn counter clockwise when viewed from above.