x8 Frame 18-22 lbs plate question

jfro

Aerial Fun
I maidened my x8 w/ Avroto 3515's * 15" prop at an AUW of 17.75lbs & xAircraft FC. Will be flying at 16 to 20 lbs most of the time.

I checked my vibration on the data and it was not bad even though in my rush to get maiden flight in today, only 4 of the 8 props were balanced.

My plates on my frame are 1/16" g10 and arms are VulcanUAV aluminum rectangular arms. I'm at 860mm.

Frame feels pretty stiff, but noticed when flying with 4 lbs of barbells underneath, it seems to flex a bit with the longer arms. I'm curious if went to 1/8" plate material if I would get rid of some of that trampoline bounce look Center plate has two 8 1/4 plates and a 6 inch battery top. All 1/16". I may cut the 860mm down ot around 660m which would be good for up to 16" props. I may convert this to a hex @860mm for 16" props or cut it down as an x8 at 660 to 700mm for same props.

Main use is video taping so not sure if the longer arms are good or not.

Anyway, looking for ideas/suggestions on plate size and arm length.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
an easy fix would be to double up the bottom plate, it's in tension and can be doubled without the two being glued or just epoxy two plates together. top should be fine, try it and see if it's any better.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have some 1/8" G4, maybe I'll try that on the bottom. I just assumed if I was going to thicker g4. I'd end up going thicker on both top and bottom plate. Didn't think to just try the bottom.

Once it's in the air, it seems to fly pretty good, at least in calm wind. It's just when the motors spin up and it's on the ground, the arms move around a bit. Sort of strange compared to my carbon fiber frames.

I think I will wait to modify the frame till after I see what the video looks like. Maybe give it a week or two before boosting up the frame a bit.

Thanks for the input.

tahoejmfc

James Cole
1/16 g10 is not close to strong enough for your load if you want a solid airframe. I think 4mm is what we used on your plates, same as cine star
I have a mikrocopter hl with g10 and a cine star gimbal under and it's pushing it

I have some 1/8" G4, maybe I'll try that on the bottom. I just assumed if I was going to thicker g4. I'd end up going thicker on both top and bottom plate. Didn't think to just try the bottom.

Once it's in the air, it seems to fly pretty good, at least in calm wind. It's just when the motors spin up and it's on the ground, the arms move around a bit. Sort of strange compared to my carbon fiber frames.

I think I will wait to modify the frame till after I see what the video looks like. Maybe give it a week or two before boosting up the frame a bit.

Thanks for the input.