X8 and Contra Rotating Efficiency - A simple study

Shelipso

Hi guys,

I am investigating the size and arrangements of propellers on a X8 setup. My setting will be around 5 to 6 kg and will have 3508 or 3510 size motors with 14 to 15 inch propellers. This is my first X8 but I have a couple of quads and a Mirkokopter Octo which is getting too old now.

Reading through various forums, it was generally recommended to use a larger propeller with a smaller pitch on the upper motor and a smaller propeller with a larger pitch on the lower motor. To achieve the best combination, bench top testing is the way to go but to reduce the costs and better understand the pros and cons of various arrangements, I decided to do some finite element model testing using Solidworks Flow Simulation. Being a numerical modeller at work, this was also a cross between my job and my hobby. I have to say that as a structural engineer, aerodynamics is not my area of expertise so this is by no means a scientific study by an expert!

I am testing a 15x5 propeller very similar to Tarot 15x5 carbon fibre ones. Link of the 3d model is below (Credit to mohammad of grabcad community). The file showed to be a good model and is a near true representation of the propellers I am planning to use.
https://grabcad.com/library/propeller-15x5-cw-and-ccw

I have so far tested 5 settings. (1) Single propeller rotating at 8200 rpm, (2) Two co-direction propellers spaced at 80mm rotating at 8200rpm and (3) two contra rotating propellers rotating at the same rpm. Case 4 and 5 were variations of case 3 with difference spacing between the propellers.
Using ecalc and based on running a DJI 3508 415 motor at its optimum efficiency on a 6 cell battery (Linked here) I estimated the 8200 rpm to be the base for the tests.

http://ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php?ecalc&lang=en&cooling=1.75&rotornumber=4&config=1&weight=2000&calc=sum&elevation=500&airtemp=25&qnh=1013&batteries=lipo_8000mah_-_65/100c&chargestate=0&s=6&p=1&esc=max_30a&motor=dji&type=22|3508-415&gear=1&propeller=carbon-fold-prop&proptwist=0&diameter=15&pitch=5&blades=2

The initial test results were very interesting and I am hoping to get your views and practical experience before I spend more time with this.

Using a single propeller, I am getting a thrust of about 940grams (very close to ecalc number of about 950). I basically tweaked the setting and mesh to calibrate my model against ecalc thrust estimates.
Two propellers rotating at the same direction is giving a thrust of about 1500 grams (30% loss of thrust).
When the propellers are running in contra direction, I am getting an increased thrust of about 2000grams. That is even more than twice!

Being an un-calibrated model, the absolute numbers are not important. What is interesting is that efficiency gain of contra rotating props at the right distance.

I also tested the Contra rotating arrangement for 60 and 100mm space between the motors. 60 showed slightly less and 100 showed slightly more total thrust.

Images below show some output plots. Visually reviewing the flow patterns, the contra rotating prop arrangement is very efficient in creating a uniform downdrift, much better than the two other tested scenarios. It also creates less turbulence. It will be also less impacted by objects around and the potentially the body of the multi rotor than single arrangement or co rotating arrangements.

I understand that as the tests are done at a fixed rpm, they are not necessarily representative of the power efficiency of the arrangements, i.e. the lower motor on a contra arrangements may require more ampere to get to the same rpm. In the contra tests, I noted that the lower motor contributes more to the lift (at the same rpm). This could be very well one reason to use a smaller propeller on the lower motor and balance the load on the motor and perhaps improve the yaw stability and attitude.

I would like to test some more scenarios using a smaller propeller on the lower motor. Before that, I thought to share the results and seek your views and practical experience on similar arrangements.

View attachment 22984 View attachment 22985 View attachment 22986

Attachments

• 01_S_15x5_8200_V.jpg
    01_S_15x5_8200_V.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 951
  • 02_D_CO_15x5_8200_V.jpg
    02_D_CO_15x5_8200_V.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 999
  • 03_D_CT_15x5_8200_V.jpg
    03_D_CT_15x5_8200_V.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 846

maxwelltub

Great test and read! Very interesting results. I don't have to much to contribute scientifically, but from my own experience I use larger props on the bottom, and find that when you have difference size props you get much better yaw authority. Also note that the DJI suggested coax setups are flawed. They suggest having all the tops spinning the same direction, and all the bottoms spinning the opposite direction. With this arrangement you can't use different size props. The work around is to have motor 1,5,3,7 on top, and 2,6,4,8 on bottom.

mlebret

Nice work,

It may be interesting to have the same calculation at mid power, as it is the optimal power setting for flying.

Thanks,

Marc

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
been flying coaxial quads almost exclusively for three years now and i've tried different size props and a number of other combinations but i've found using same diameter top and bottom with an extra inch or two of pitch on the bottom works great. different diameter

i've also tried all of the different combinations of rotations but ended up using all clockwise on top with all counter clockwise on the bottom. this makes replacing the props on bottom (standard rotation) easier since they are more likely to be damaged.

for fast forward flight though i've found having the top right props rotate clockwise and the top left props rotate counter clockwise with the bottoms doing the opposite works best for having everything stay stable when transitioning from hover to fast forward flight. using other schemes always resulted in some instability through the transition as the centers of lift moved due to the added element of forward motion on the airflow to the props.

very interesting test results though and i'll have to look at the graphs more closely to see what the airflow predictions are saying. thanks for posting your results!

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

Balancing current between top and bottom and obtaining equal thrust between a coaxial motor pair requires tilting the motor pairs up to several degrees outward from the center of the frame. Doing that permits using the same size props top and bottom and increases efficiency. test data and flight performance has proven this effective. Airflow tests were not performed.

Shelipso

Thanks for the insights. I am on road this week but will look into this a bit further next week. Would also try the Oldman's suggestion once I could visualise it.

for fast forward flight though i've found having the top right props rotate clockwise and the top left props rotate counter clockwise with the bottoms doing the opposite works best for having everything stay stable when transitioning from hover to fast forward flight. using other schemes always resulted in some instability through the transition as the centers of lift moved due to the added element of forward motion on the airflow to the props.

Thanks Bartman,

That is what I was thinking of doing. As the FC always tries to balance the multi rotor, any combination that naturally ans aerodynamically contributes to this will be more efficient, i.e. having all upper props cw and lower ccw when you know that there is difference in performance between upper and lower motors would reduce efficiency compared to an alternate arrangement such as your suggestion.

Anyway nothing beats the experience on this!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Balancing current between top and bottom and obtaining equal thrust between a coaxial motor pair requires tilting the motor pairs up to several degrees outward from the center of the frame. Doing that permits using the same size props top and bottom and increases efficiency. test data and flight performance has proven this effective. Airflow tests were not performed.

@Old Man do you mean like this?
View attachment 23009

Attachments

• boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 668

Old Man

so the tips are closer outboard of the motor center and farther apart inboard? like that @Old Man ?

Yes and no, not like Sleepy's depiction. Tips remain =/= in separation but motors cant to the outside of copter center, outside tips lower than inside. Put an ammeter in line with each motor on a bench test pair of motors. Set up the test with a motor pair installed in the "normal top and bottom configuration, counter rotating. The lower motor will always pull more amps and generate slightly less thrust. Develop baseline current values with that arrangement and play with 1.5* of cant and see what happens with the current;)

Shelipso

Yes and no, not like Sleepy's depiction. Tips remain =/= in separation but motors cant to the outside of copter center, outside tips lower than inside

In terms of power efficiency and if the props are parallel, why it should make any difference to tilt them inward or outward? I would understand if there was difference in the overall stability or even overall power use in hover but you wouldn't see that on a bench test, would you? Isn't it just tilting the axis of thrust?

mlebret

My view of the thing:

Air diverge below the propeller, by tilting the motors outward, you force more air towards the center of the multirotor, increasing efficiency.

There is a flaw: less stability. It is why you will see some large commercial multirotors with motors tilted inward.

Marc

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I found this useful....Dont know why no one bothered to test and post before...so simple!
What does it compare? It looks like a single motor on the left and a coax with the lower motor turned off on the right. In what way is that comparison useful?

mlebret

What does it compare? It looks like a single motor on the left and a coax with the lower motor turned off on the right. In what way is that comparison useful?

Comparison show advantage/disadvantage of flat Octo to X8 configuration in case of one motor failure. In X8 configuration around 15% power of remaining motor is absorbed by windmilling failed motor.

Marc

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Comparison show advantage/disadvantage of flat Octo to X8 configuration in case of one motor failure. In X8 configuration around 15% power of remaining motor is absorbed by windmilling failed motor.
I don't think the comparison is fair. The advantage of a X8 configuration compared to a flat eight is that you can put larger props on a X8. And since larger props are more efficient anyway I think the efficiency advantage of the flat eight is nullified.

Also, the power consumed by the windmilling prop is lost because it is (must be?) contra-rotating. A windmilling corotating propeller would actually add thrust compared to the single motor.

ovdt

Efficiency loss is never nullified. X8 has advantages over flat octo but efficiency is not one of them. Flat design is always more efficient.

That video doesn't provide any useful data though.