Wookong M Single Waypoint Danger!

sniblett

Hi
I have just "converted" from Mikrokopter to DJI, and to complete the abandonment, I just purchased and hooked up the single waypoint system. In the Ground Station, there is a button that says "One Click Take Off". After flying around for an hour or so, I decided to give it a whirl......and nearly killed myself. The thing went nuts and tried to bury itself in the ground, killing 4 escs, breaking 7 props and snapping 2 boom arms. I can't get any information about it from DJI, so I wondered if any of you have any idea what on earth just happened!!

Thanks.....

Tahoe Ed

How did you have the GS set up? Did you save a location in the computer or load one at your flying site with a wifi hotspot? Did you do the altitude adjustment? There a quite a few steps that DJI recommends before trying a one click take off. Did you even try to run a single click waypoint before doing the "One Click Take Off"? We will need more information to provide any meaningful advise.

srbell

I use one click take off all the time with not problem. Like Ed said, how's it flying otherwise with click and go? Have you tried the auto go home with good results?

sniblett

Thanks for replying guys...
I only tried click and go in simulate mode.... there are indeed a lot of confusing altitudes... I am actually scared to use the GCS now. It seemed like a good idea, but if anybody touches that one key take off my mistake, we are all in trouble! The offset altitude is just for visual reference on the map no? Does it have a bearing on the actual flight altitude? I am working off 0m for altitude and I am flying at an elevation of about 100m. The map is all good and everything else seems fine.

Would love to get it going......safely!

srbell

View attachment 12295The altitude offset is just visual. And as you've noticed, it's confusing when used in simulate. It's because you're measuring an altitude from where ever your unit is sitting when you're using GCS. Don't worry, it works perfectly when you're actually at your site. If you're having trouble with the one key takeoff, I suspect it may have to do with your compass calibration and COG. If these are off, nothing works autonomously. My unit used to go crazy when I'd flip the return home switch and it was nothing more than turning my compass puck to the right until it flew strait in GPS mode. When that was fixed the return home worked flawless. The same thing with GCS, the s800 now flew perfect grids in multi waypoint. Calibrate and get it flying strait in GPS. Then make sure the return home works perfect. Then try your auto takeoff, you should be good to go. And keep practicing in sim mode, it's a great way to get comfortable with GCS. I included a picture of just how far the GPS has to be rotated just to get my unit to fly strait. BTW, 140% distributed gains made a world of difference in flight accuracy using GCS.

Attachments

• rotation.jpg
    rotation.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 299

sniblett

Thanks for the advice. One question though.... the fact that if you power up the Kopter, connect with GCS and simply hit one key take off, where does it think it is going? I would expect it to ask for a prompt like "what altitude" or " are you sure?" Or simply "duck!" ...oh, and by distributed gains, do you mean all the gains to 140?
cheers.

srbell

It just goes up about 15 feet and then waits. Don't freak when you see the red light, that's just means it's ascending. You would think it would ask if you're sure about taking off lol! Funny thing is that's what it does when you click go home which I find pointless. Why else would have I clicked it lol! Don't forget to put your stick a mid position as it will still take off. You wouldn't want to click into manual at low throttle position if you had to. And no about all the gains. The distributed gain is in the advanced section (I think that's what it's called, not in GCS right now). My actual gains are 220 220 160 180 and attitude 200 200, but that's for a really heaving S800 full load camera rig.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I have owned the LK900 and GCS since January and have tried multiple times to understand how to operate GCS in simulation mode......
But because I find it so confusing, I refuse to test it in real flight........I will try to figure this out later.......as for now I am flying without it.
It looks so easy to use on the DJI videos.

srbell

I use it all the time. It took a bit of a leap of faith, but if you have any specific questions just fire away.

hover.ch

I had huge problems with my AD-8 flipping overupon launch (not via GS, manually). The reason was the gain settings which were ways too low. I could imagine such a setup to cause similar problems when using one-click-takeoff.

BTW: You also one-click-takoff when clicking on red button "Go" while in GPS-mode. Happened to me while (I thought I'm) in simulation mode. Another reason for not using simulation mode.

Thanks SRBell.....
Once I have my system reconfigured c/w LK900 I will ask some specific questions. Right now I am focused on brushless gimbal with GoPro3 Black and FPV testing c/w POI etc. and determining the available flight time with my custom made system.
BTW - I see you are in Kelowna....... How is the flying out there? I'm from Calgary.

I use it all the time. It took a bit of a leap of faith, but if you have any specific questions just fire away.

srbell

Thanks SRBell.....
Once I have my system reconfigured c/w LK900 I will ask some specific questions. Right now I am focused on brushless gimbal with GoPro3 Black and FPV testing c/w POI etc. and determining the available flight time with my custom made system.
BTW - I see you are in Kelowna....... How is the flying out there? I'm from Calgary.

Flying in Kelowna is great! I also fly jets, so the mountainous terrain poses challenges with tight airfields though. As for extending flight time, I'm using dual 8ah Nanotechs for an easy 17min at 7.8kg's. They're pretty cheap as well.