Wookong-M Component Placement on F450

eXtremeSG

Hey Guys!

First post here. Been lurking for a few weeks, whilst gathering components for my first build.
Initially I am putting this kit onto a F450, but once I'm not so 'dangerous in the air', plan on moving up to a Droidworx V3, or maybe even ECM (depending on spec).

Reason I'm posting, I've seen a few pics / threads of people's F450 builds, .... but wanted to get some feedback on:

1. Best placement of DJI hardware on the F450 - keeping it all 'sandwiched' in between the top and bottom plate. Your PICS of hardware placement would be great!!!
2. Some advice of where to install the GoPro camera, ... on the top plate, or on the bottom plate ledge. Ideally with zero prop view whilst filming.
3. For programming the ESC's, I planned to power them up all at once (already all connected to PDB - so just connect lipo), and then plug each one into the programming card. Any issues?
4. I presume I leave ONE red wire in place to power the futaba receiver.... the rest get folder back. Correct?

Based on your feedback, I plan to build the rest of this up Tues/Weds and get flying a.s.a.p.

Enclosed is a pic of progress so far (mainly soldering ecs's / battery lead to PD Board) - but would really love your feeback on where to place what.
FYI 'white' is the front, and I was planning on mounting the GoPro on the front base plate ledge sticking out.

View attachment 2849

Kit:

Wookong-M + F450
AXI 2217/20
Graupner 11x5
Hobbywing Pentium 30A ESC
Turnigy nano-tech 5000Mah Lipos
Futaba 8FG Super + R6208SB

Thx!
Steve

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 244

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Eh Up Steve.. welcome to MRF

Good luck with the build..think you will find the 11x5 to big..

here is mine with the hood up!

And one with GoPro. If you go back to my Youtube channel and look at my latest video you will see I am still getting the from landers in shot IF you do not carefully set the camera up.

You get power from the PMU for the receiver NOT an ESC bec

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

eXtremeSG

Hey Droider, thanks for the pics :)

I think you might be right about the Graupner 11x5 ... doh! I bought for my next frame purchase (V3 etc.) - are APC good enough to test, seem to be cheap in comparison - so I presume they need balancing before unleashing in flight?

I see you put your GPS in an 'unusual' position.... does it not get interference from the motors / props being so close to them?

Thx!
Steve

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Droider, thanks for the pics :)
I see you put your GPS in an 'unusual' position.... does it not get interference from the motors / props being so close to them?
Thx!
Steve
Everyone asks me that.. but ney no mither.. I only have it there coz if it was on a stork it would be a bugger to strap on my rucsac! Since I took it off the stork that was positioned at the back stuck to the top of the PMU i have sen no difference in performance.

Dave

tracar

its all good i never had an issue with component placement and interference with gps. its wookong
i did have an issue with the motors overheating with the stock 10 inch dji on my f550 on 4cell but the 8x5 graupners are still the best thing i ever put on mine. better run time and motors dont get hot. besides get rid of the stock dji props they will break on you just for looking at them wrong. then crash boom !!