Wookong GPS mode flying

thijmen5

Hello,

I see a lot of people actually fly constantly in GPS mode. My experience is that it actually doesn't really 'fly' in GPS mode. I need to push it hard to come of it's place, but it immediatly wants to stop at it's new position. I know this is the purpose of GPS mode, but how can people make it fly smoothly in that mode? I simply can not fly by far the same as manual. I only use to take a look at my screen or something.

Regards,
Thijmen

Bowley

I think it is very good for still photography. using Naza GPS whch is very tight IMO. Yes it definitely feels sticky but I guess thats because it works well.
I dont see any use for GPS in AV per se. The value of GPS I suppose is the functions it allows such as RTH, useful for flying out of your LOS comfort zone and knowing a flick of a switch will bring it home

Tomstoy2

I fly a lot in gps mode. Sure it isn't the same, but I get none of the jerkiness feeling that other controllers give me when in gps. Moving the attitude stick in any direction and holding it there gives nice smooth control movement. Others always seem to fight the movement.
I've actually not noticed any difference between movement in gps and attitude mode.
It won't fly the same as in manual, where when you lean it and release the sticks it stays in a lean.

thijmen5

Thanks for your replies! I sure is nice for photography, but for me it is complete useless for filming since it want to stay so bad at it's place. Could it have something to do with the atti gains?

I was just wondering how people could get it to move so smooth in GPS mode.

Attitude and gps feels the same. I can retry to fly in gps mode, but for smooth filming I just will stick to manual mode.

Michael64

To answer the question is to lower the regular gains down to find a happy point between holding too much or not enough. You will see as you lower the regular gains the GPS hold will start to wonder a bit and if to low will not really hold well at all. So bottom line is fine the sweet spot that is bes suited to your needs. Takes a little time but you will find it.

Michael64

thijmen5

Maybe I create a switch to change between gains, for gps flying when needed in moderate winds.

Another question.
How does it come that my octo keeps yawing when there is wind? Or better, is there something to do about? It is really anoying.
You can see it clearly in this video with quite a lot of wind at several places.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

To answer the question is to lower the regular gains down to find a happy point between holding too much or not enough. You will see as you lower the regular gains the GPS hold will start to wonder a bit and if to low will not really hold well at all. So bottom line is fine the sweet spot that is bes suited to your needs. Takes a little time but you will find it.

Michael64

Best answer! Yes. You need to lower your gains so that the transitions between movement are less stiff. I try to find a balance that allows my craft to float like a butterfly. You can adjust gains so that your control movement is softer and so that the craft will react faster against uncontrolled movement. The trick is finding the balance that you desire.