Where to start on a new gimbal?

PCMAerial

Hey everyone

Seen a TON of posts about new gimbals, homemade gimbals, expensive ones, cheap ones, ETC

I'm here to see where YOU would aim first? I'm flying a GoPro but really leaning towards a Nex5 for my AP work. I've seen somewhere a gimbal around $75-$100 and saw amazing footage from it. But I don't know the name or link to where this gimbal was spotted. Anyone know some good ones out there ASIDE from the usual Zenmuse series? I'm not looking to cheap out on this piece, but ALL I need is a decent stabilization between my camera and rig. I don't need all 3 axis of rotation as most of my shots are panning naturally with the copter's movement.

Flying a f550/nazav2

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

PCMAerial

I wouldn't discount 3 axis so quickly. When you use follow mode in the yaw axis, it really smooths out the shots. To me there's nothing as distracting as a smooth steady horizon suddenly being disrupted by a jerky pan, either pilot induced or from wind.

Whitespy sells a decent 2 axis gimbal for $55. http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fp...ra-gimbal-mount-w-motor-controller-combo.html

You're right. I guess I shouldn't count that out at all on a functionality standpoint. Price difference is the only thing swaying me towards a 2-axis. But I'm definitely open to a 3-axis if it were practical and affordable after the controller has been added. Btw that witespy gimbal looks GREAT. I may order that & a separate gimbal for my Nex. Thanks for that!! Unless it's too much to switch back and forth. If only there were something more 'universal' although it's a big difference in camera size.

PCMAerial

So it looks like the GoPro gimbal is VERY easy to find out there. Let's just count that one as solved now that I have seen this witespy product. Lol!

Although I'm leaning towards finding a decent Nex series gimbal. I found (today) a good deal on a nex5 w/16mm lens. Now all I need is a decent gimbal for my 550