When it all works so well - up into cloud base with the Wookong-M and iOSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
When I fly like this a few things have to come together, like knowing the battery, being sure you have a solid RTH and Video link. The iOSD is the best way of determining Ascent/Descent rates given the latency in all 2.4Ghz telemetry systems.

Since there was no gimbal mounting for my GoPro and the video is unstabilised/post-processed, the hover at 70 odd metres shows just how good the Wookong-M can be (V5.14 PWM) when everything has come together. Of all the tweaks I made - these standout:

• I redid all solder connectors including those on pre-soldered LiPos
  • I went for serial numbered 4s Turnigy LiPos - all were test flown and logged over a 2 hour cumulative flight time
  • I used a HobbyWing Quattro ESC
  • I calc'd my motors on Markus Muller's eCalc (this resulted in me fitting 4 X T-Motor MT2216-12 to the XAircraft X650 Quad) which gave far better response than the stock ones (3s)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eoin

Hey RotorTalk,
Nice video ! Just wondering if you had any concerns about the Wookong, or indeed any of your electrical systems performance, in that level of humidity ?
I have often wanted to go up in similar conditions, but always talk myself out of it due to fear of a moisture induced System failure. Have you taken any extra precautions or do you think the wookong can handle it comfortably ?
Regards,
Eoin

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hi guys,

keep in mind that full scale aircraft are being guided by air traffic controllers when they're in the clouds and if you go into clouds without any knowledge of local full scale traffic then you're creating a risk to those people flying over you. also keep in mind that if you get caught you will be putting everyone in the FPV and RC communities at risk of more regulation.

full scale pilots that get caught self-navigating through clouds either lose their licenses or have them suspended. it is dangerous and irresponsible to fly RC into clouds so please don't do it.

Our understanding of full scale operations and our willingness to limit our own activities (with the understanding that manned flight has right-of-way over all RC flights) is critical to our remaining minimally regulated.

This thread is closed.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.