What to do! Keep my f550 or upgrade.. To what?

tikigod19

Hi all so I have an f550 with tarot gimbal for gopro 3 black and I'm getting some nice results but the limitations of the auto exposure on the gopro are getting to me.

My choices now are;

1. Go for a nex5n on the f550. Hopefully with a 3 axis gimbal if one exists.

2. Fly my canon 550d or even 5d (already own both) on a bigger machine, something like a tarot t810 and a 3 axis dslr gimbal.

Option 1 significantly cheaper but seems a shame to waste my f550 that I've spent months tuning. I am very limited with higher wind conditions on the f550 though, not sure if this would be different on the t810 if I spend enough (wookong, zenmuse z15 etc) but this is also starting to be a bit of a pain. Option 2 would also mean the machine is foldable and transportable, one other major drawback with my f550!

What would you do?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have a bunch of cameras and still love the nex5n. Id just do that. Only real reason to switch is if a client asks for it, but you better be making bucks to justify it. I have some carbon arms that will upgrade the f550 as well if you are interested.

tikigod19

Is there much of a difference in look between say the 5d footage and nex5n? I ask as I'll be mixing nex with 5d footage and want them to match up a lot more than the gopro and 5d does..

What advantage would the carbon arms give the f550?

Do you know of any 3 axis nex brushless gimbals?

Is there much of a difference in look between say the 5d footage and nex5n? I ask as I'll be mixing nex with 5d footage and want them to match up a lot more than the gopro and 5d does..
Back before I bought my S800 for Sony NEX, I read a lot of reviews for the NEX versus various DSLRs. When it came to daytime video, the NEX faired very well in comparison charts that I found. That's what ultimately lead me down that path. The full size sensor of the 5D definitely had its advantages, but it was more in the still photo realm, and lowlight video. I know of several people that use the NEX on their MRs for commercial purposes. Some friends of mine in Minneapolis use it almost exclusively, but on ocassion they have a customer coming in with specific camera requirements which they then have to use their heli for.

Do you know of any 3 axis nex brushless gimbals?
I haven't found a three axis one yet in my quick research, but I am sure they are out there. The 2 axis gimbal I am looking at for my F550 is a Tarot using an Alexmos controller.

tikigod19

Guys how do you control the nex5n in the air? Can you remotely record and stop recording in the air? Are still photos taken periodically like on the gopro?

Also do you know if you can use the Nex as an fpv cam while filming like I do with my gopro?

Guys how do you control the nex5n in the air? Can you remotely record and stop recording in the air? Are still photos taken periodically like on the gopro?
Also do you know if you can use the Nex as an fpv cam while filming like I do with my gopro?
There is also the StratoSnapper (http://www.intelligentuas.com/FPV-V...er-Video-Recording-Zoom-From-Your-Transmitter).
The 5N doesn't have time lapse capability; however, the 5R does as one of the app download options.
As for FPV, you can use any camera... nothing special about FPV cameras.

tikigod19

Thanks guys. StratoSnapper looks good. So I can start and stop recording and take individual photos mid air? Can I do both simultaneously or do I need to land to change camera mode?

I take it there's no way yo change exposure settings like shutter speed mid air? (the Nex cameras have full manual video mode, right?)

Thanks guys. StratoSnapper looks good. So I can start and stop recording and take individual photos mid air? Can I do both simultaneously or do I need to land to change camera mode?
I take it there's no way yo change exposure settings like shutter speed mid air? (the Nex cameras have full manual video mode, right?)
Honestly, can't tell you because I haven't bought mine yet. Currently my NEX-5R is on my S800 which takes care of it all for me. You can switch between video and photo as you wish, but you can't change the exposure settings with it. I don't know if the StratoSnapper is better in this regard or not. I'm building an F550 for my 5R, and my plans are to get one for it.

tikigod19

Bought the nex5r with sigma 30m. And also going to get either 16mm or 20mm but I now need to find a decent gimbal.. Is there anything out there that's remotely similar to the zenmuse z15 but not £3000!

Bought the nex5r with sigma 30m. And also going to get either 16mm or 20mm but I now need to find a decent gimbal.. Is there anything out there that's remotely similar to the zenmuse z15 but not £3000!
2 axis? Or three? For three you need a second operator. Three is also where the cost comes in for the gimbal.

tikigod19

Definitely 3 axis. Why do you need a 2nd operator for 3 axis? I'm trying to fix some of the lateral movement when I fly in straight lines, I won't really be panning the camera on that axis as much..

I guess maybe I viewed it that way because I don't know anybody personally that does 3-axis with single operator. For me personally it boils down to not enough controls that one person's hands can work, and the brain power do to do. I know that I could definitely not handle panning and tilting while still flying the MR proficiently. I do plenty of aerial photography and video work as single operator, but I lock the Zenmuse forward when I run that setup, and use the yawing of the aircraft to point. If I need to fly in a straight line while panning, then I would use IOC Course Lock mode. I do adjust tilt throughout the flight, and that my brain and fingers can handle.

However, I digress (sp?)... FoxTech used to have a 3 axis gimbal for the NEX, but I'm not finding it right now. The only one I'm quickly finding is a 2-axis one:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/x140b-for-nex5-brushless-gimbal-p-1167.html
I know that Tarot make one as well. Hopefully others can chime in with their recommendations.

tikigod19

The x140b looks quite nice actually. 850g compared to my current 200g though.. Do you think the f550 could handle it? If so it'd be the cheapest option for me to get the Nex in the air.. No 3 axis gimbal and no new hex. Want to get the Nex in the air soon but that one is out of stock!

The x140b looks quite nice actually. 850g compared to my current 200g though.. Do you think the f550 could handle it? If so it'd be the cheapest option for me to get the Nex in the air.. No 3 axis gimbal and no new hex. Want to get the Nex in the air soon but that one is out of stock!
Sorry for delay in responding... been a busy day.

I do agree it is a bit heavy for a stock F550, but you might be alright. Are you using stock motors/ESCs? I have some friends that have a MKTR professional gimbal which is listed as 1.1kg with landing gear, and they use stock ESCs/motor with 1038 props. The x140b doesn't have a landing gear, so you'll have to factor that in. You will also need to factor in an HDMI to SD video converter since the Sony NEX only has HDMI output. (Small note, the gimbal itself is only 700g; it was the shipping weight that was 850g.)

I did find another gimbal for an NEX that another friend uses, and it is a little lighter; however, it is a two axis gimbal as well.
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=912&productname

tikigod19

I'm using 30a esc's and tiger 2216 900kv motors plus 5000mah 3s and 1038 props..

I have an alexmos control board going spare that came with my yun-1 do you know if that could work with the rc timer gimbal? Suppose it's be simpler to get one that comes with control board..

I have an alexmos control board going spare that came with my yun-1 do you know if that could work with the rc timer gimbal? Suppose it's be simpler to get one that comes with control board..
Yes, I do believe the Alexmos board would work, tho I can't say for sure since I don't own either.
i sent a message to my friend that has the RC Timer gimbal, and I'll let you know which controller he has.
however, I do agree that an all-in-one unit with controller might be easier to setup.

Jaydekay

Last edited by a moderator:

tikigod19

thanks Jay, I got the nex-5n and really happy with it. Have you seen any sample videos using the goodluckbuy gimbal? I can't work out why that is £$200 when the one I'm on the verge of purchasing is $800.. (The AG550DD)

Jaydekay

thanks Jay, I got the nex-5n and really happy with it. Have you seen any sample videos using the goodluckbuy gimbal? I can't work out why that is £$200 when the one I'm on the verge of purchasing is $800.. (The AG550DD)

Sure no problem -

I don't have it yet and I believe it just came out so example video is limited. But there is a guy on RCGroups who has owned both this gimbal and the RCTimer ACP 2 axis and he said the DYS 3 axis beats it hands down. There is some excellent looking video examples produced with the RCtimer ACP, so basing on the limited info that's out there, I would suspect this to be a great option as well. Once more companies come to the playing field, some of these really high prices will start to come down because the market will be a lot more competitive that it is right now.

As for the AG550DD, I am not familiar with that one. I googled it and nothing turned up. There are definitely better gimbals than others, but I've noticed that there are definitely some companies who are riding the multirotor bandwagon and charging way to much for some stuff, imo. Especially when you look at gimbals and frames. For instance there are frames out there that cost over 3X the price of the T810 and the quality is no better.

I am likely either going to go with the 2 Axis or 3 Axis frame from goodluckbuy, and then add my own RCtimer motors that are comparable to the DYS gimbal motors. Reason being, I don't really like the bright gold looking motors on the DYS. I'm a designer, so I'm cursed. :)

Based on what I've found, the gimbal controller is really what makes the biggest difference and AlexMos seems to have that area locked down, so I'll be using that firmware.