What is the difference between airframes?

SJBrit

I just moved from a Phantom to a Tarot 650 and like you, Pumpkinguy, I loved learning all the different aspects of design and deciding on what I wanted. I must say that it was a very demanding task since the trade-space is so huge, but as I started to nail down one decision after another I was really pleased with the way it all came together.

BUT, and this is a really big but: I had a very specific set of goals. I flew with the Phantom long enough to understand exactly where it had weaknesses for my very specific AP needs and I was able to define a set of concrete requirements for my new build. I can't imagine how you make all the decisions that need to be made unless you are driving to a clearly quantified goal.

My advise is to really sit and think about what you need rather than going into this with a generic goal of "building something bigger." What kind of payload will you carry? What kind of filming are you going to do? What kind of functionality will you need from your FC? What kind of flight times are you shooting for? What about portability? Etc. etc. If you don't have those answers then to be honest I would wait a bit: wait till you understand the problems you have with your current setup and seek to solve those rather than upgrading for the sake of it.

jdennings

.... I hated working on mine, installing props was a hassle, couldn't get it up on my racks like i was used to because of al the props top and bottom. It was generaly a pain to work with, travel was a pain and i never broke so many props with hanger rash than that thing did.

Yeah, "double" propellers can really be a pain for travel/movement. I use these, really helps ...

Hi Guys, Yes those Aluminium Alloy Quick Detach Self-locking Prop Adaptors from "Drones vision" are the best that I have found, they are very accurately machined and good quality.

I got caught with adaptors from other sites that were really badly made with burrs and running untrue (out of centre wobbles) plus loose threads.

Regards - bruce

Pumpkinguy

Sorry I havent been around for a day or more folks.... Was layed up with a nasty cold. I honestly didnt know what a dead cat was before. lol

Racerx1962

So what about props on an X8? I've read where some put longer props on top, whereas others put them on bottom. Is there a tried and true formula?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
There's no formula, or even a solid theory about that that I have seen. Results from testing seem very inconsistent.

Old Man

Rob

Sent you an e-mail last night. Should you elect to pursue the contact you might a bit more info on the subject;)

Last edited by a moderator: