What FC

xXLupusXx

noob but eager to learn
Good Day all,

What would be the best FC to buy for a 450, 550, 650 with camera and gimbal, gps, return home, route planning.

Thanks for some advice.

Well there is no best, only different opinions. DJI stuff is fairly plug and play and has a good following but they also have a lot of detractors as well. Pixhawk is a open hardware platform that looks good and does everything you mentioned but I haven't used it myself.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
whenever there's the potential for a camera to be involved it's best to define which camera and then work backwards to determine the heli you'll need to carry it.

which camera are we talking about?

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I'm currently a Pixhawk fan; but if I hadn't started with Naza, I'm not sure that I would have figured out the Pixhawk. The Pixhawk does almost everything and has multiple paths for customization. But it's those options that can cause you trouble until you become educated about what they all do.

xXLupusXx

noob but eager to learn
Since i am a beginner and on a low budget I was thing of using a XiaoMi Yi Ambarella A7LS BSI CMOS and a KK2.15 fcb. The question is if the KK2.15 is compatible with my Radiolinx rx (FHSS).

I would like a naze lite but that would require a new TX and rx.

I cannot use a FC that requires programming, I do not have any experience with that.

OhHey

First we will need to know exactly what RX/TX you have, I assume you mean radiolink? If so which model so we can be sure you have enough channels for what you are trying to do. Next roadblock you will run into will be with your hunt for a setup on a low budget that does not require programming. Budget is the big determining factor in this hobby and if you want to build on a budget you have to be willing to research and learn a lot. Your only options for a plug and play system that does not require programming will be Naza or similiar but they come at a premium when compared to kk2 type setups. None of us were born with the experience of programming a FC but all of the resources are at your fingertips. Will it be challenging? Absolutely, but it will be your most budget friendly option. Let's start with what you are shooting for as far as dollars spent and let us know your RX/TX and we can offer much more help!

xXLupusXx

noob but eager to learn
Thank you OhHey,
Yes, I should have been more clear and I realise now that what I want is not possible. The Radiolink R7EH that I have simply does not have enough channels to do all I want.
So, what I want to start of with is to equip my Totem Q450 with a FC that makes this hexacopter fly stable and reliable with the rx and tx that i have now (R7EH and T6EHP-E).
When that works nicely and me and my son have some more experiernce we want to upgrade this hexacopter to a system with GPS/compass and the Xiami camera with gimbal. To do that I should upgrade the FC, rx and tx, i know.

According to e-calc i should have room for a payload of about 800 grams.

For the total project I can spend about 500 $.

Am i realistic here ?

Thanks for all your help.

OhHey

If I am reading this right you already have the bird, do you have motors and speed controllers also? If you go with Naza and a dji gimbal then you can run it on that 7 channel radio without a problem I believe. If you get a Naza, even if it is a lite (which you can pick up new with gps for around $160 shipped) then you wont have to refit/learn a new FC later in the game. If you do not want to mess with and learn how to program the FC then Naza or equivalent is the way to go. They are fairly plug and play and the computer interface is pretty user friendly in comparison. Let me know what all you already have (motors, escs, ect) so I know what needs to be purchased with that $500 and we can go from there. Now that I know your budget I think this build can be realistic and would love to help further point you in the right direction. Let me know and we will go from there.

Side note: Do you have any experience at all flying multi rotors? If not I highly, highly recommend picking up a cheapy like the Hubsan X4 with a crash pack($50+/-). You can fly it indoors or outdoors and smash the hell out of it with the ability to rebuild it quickly and very inexpensive. I bought a Hubsan before building my 250 racer and probably saved myself a few hundred dollars in repairs by learning on and smashing up my cheapy first. They fly very much like larger multi-rotors but you wont feel bad when you smash it into a tree at full speed. What this will also do is teach you how to fly a multi-rotor without gps so if you ever loose gps or something else goes hay wire when flying your larger unit you will be prepared to bring it home and land it without assistance. Just my two pennies.

xXLupusXx

noob but eager to learn
Thank you OhHey, you are most helpfull.

I have a Totem Q450 hexacopter frame with motors (2212, 1000KV) props (3blade 7045 now and 3 blade 8045 on the way) 30A esc, 3300mah 25C battery (5000mah on the way). Furthermore I ordered a landing skid to get enough ground clearance for the gimbal and camera.
The rx R7EH does not support GPS nor gimbal as far as i understand (or am i off the track here?).

Of course I am willing to learn about programming the FC but am scared that it might exceed my limited programming skills.

For training purposes I have this little JRC H8C quad. nice little copter. Already picked up some forgotten skills like soldering again as I had to change a fried motor. Other than that it is pretty robust. I crashed into furniture and stuff but it still is in one piece. Waiting for delivery of the highly recommended bearings to get more life out of the motors.

Did only fly inside sofar as the weather did not permit going out yet.
I am getting pretty ok controlling the thing.

In fact this one inspired me to buy a bigger more capable one.

Look forward to your recommendations. (Pictures of my Totem Q450 are in the Group build 2016 forum) http://multirotorforums.com/threads/group-build-2016-lets-get-it-on.28862/

QC102

Thank you OhHey, you are most helpfull.

I have a Totem Q450 hexacopter frame with motors (2212, 1000KV) props (3blade 7045 now and 3 blade 8045 on the way) 30A esc, 3300mah 25C battery (5000mah on the way). Furthermore I ordered a landing skid to get enough ground clearance for the gimbal and camera.
The rx R7EH does not support GPS nor gimbal as far as i understand (or am i off the track here?).

Of course I am willing to learn about programming the FC but am scared that it might exceed my limited programming skills.

For training purposes I have this little JRC H8C quad. nice little copter. Already picked up some forgotten skills like soldering again as I had to change a fried motor. Other than that it is pretty robust. I crashed into furniture and stuff but it still is in one piece. Waiting for delivery of the highly recommended bearings to get more life out of the motors.

Did only fly inside sofar as the weather did not permit going out yet.
I am getting pretty ok controlling the thing.

In fact this one inspired me to buy a bigger more capable one.

Look forward to your recommendations. (Pictures of my Totem Q450 are in the Group build 2016 forum) http://multirotorforums.com/threads/group-build-2016-lets-get-it-on.28862/

I consider myself a beginner - I have tried various FC - KK2.1.5 ( and a few of the different builds) CC3D using OpenPilot and lately LibrePilot, Naze32 6DOF - tried it with both Cleanflight and Baseflight.
I have formed an opinion that whichever you use - a better understanding of the PID setting is the key to at least getting a Multi-Rotor stable. As yet... I have not found the secret!!!

I feel more comfortable with the CC3D and LibrePilot firmware.
BUT I like the ease of Cleanflight - though the Naze 32 6DOF seems a bit wild and I cannot get either a 450 frame or a 500 "Alien" build stable!
It may be a cruddy board ( off ebay) I have a Naze 32 10DOF on route and hoping it will be better.
KK2 ? It confuses me!
Example: I changed the firmware to Stevis Beginner version - supposed to be better to start on than the latest stable version. But like all FC.. it needs to be tuned a lot to get anything to better stability.

I got into building after a fault laden RTF from a "chinese online store" - in order to learn manual flight to better! My Phantom P3 sits in a corner sighing!

xXLupusXx

noob but eager to learn
Thanks for your input QC.

I can raly recommend the JRC H8C as a learning copter. Just order it with some extra motors, ballbearings to replace the bushings on the prop shafts, some extra props and some batteries if you want more then 6-7 mins flying time.
The whole thing is under a 100 bucks.