Very cheap FPV drones. Fake?. Good?

skan

Hello

In this thread
http://multirotorforums.com/threads/cheap-fpv-with-receiver.22775/

some people told me that a whole FPV quadcopter (with camera and transmitter and screen...) would cost me at least $500 if I build it from a kit or more if I get a RTF model.

But what about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JJRC-H9D-2-...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item566eb885e6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WLTOYS-...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item339c077356

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hubsan-X4-H...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item5b0a58cfc1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-HD-Mi...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4877569e9a

They cost around $200 and even less.
Are they fake or very bad or missing parts?
Have you tried any?

And this one is cheaper because it uses your own mobile as screen
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-4CH-RC...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f44726182

darmie

I'd love to know myself as well. I do know and keep in mind I'm just starting out, but anything wifi usually has a slight lag. I also know in some of the new rotor magazines that are popping up offers a few ideas.

cootertwo

Just keep in mind, that you "usually" get what you pay for. I've spent most of my life buying the "cheap" version of things, only to find out that they just barely perform, and I either give up on the concept/idea, or buy the "real" and of course more expensive item, and kick myself in the butt for not going that direction in the first place. Kinda like buying a scooter, then deciding you want a real motorcycle!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
having been to China a number of times I don't have a lot of trouble imagining that the heli's in those links are junk. If I had to choose one it would be the Hubsan or the JJRC but even then if it's shipping from China then the Hubsan could be a knockoff and not a real Hubsan.

You're not talking about a lot of money for either one but who wants to just throw away $100 or $200 if they don't have to?

@skan; you've never told us what it is that you are hoping to achieve? what is it that you want to do? you seem to have a very well defined goal as you are now in three threads asking for clear reception of a video signal from a helicopter. What are you trying to do?

If we know that then we can better guide you towards a solution.

skan

You're not talking about a lot of money for either one but who wants to just throw away $100 or $200 if they don't have to?

you've never told us what it is that you are hoping to achieve? what is it that you want to do? you seem to have a very well defined goal as you are now in three threads asking for clear reception of a video signal from a helicopter. What are you trying to do?

If we know that then we can better guide you towards a solution.

Hello.

I just want to fly a drone while controlling it through a screen, viewing what it views.
As cheap as possible , as much range as possible.
Maybe medium size.
I don't mind to build it myself but if for the same price I have one with a good cover then I'll take it.
I'm thinking of $250

haha49

Well range = money.

You can spend 100 on a lipo alone (I have 4 for my hexacopter)

The husban X4 (107D i think) It's the white one that comes with the moniter 1 is just a camera

works well for a low cost. It's more of a toy and it's tiny range is about a half a football field line of sight.

There isn't really any super cheap stuff out there for what you seem to want the husban x4 might be good enough and it's a good craft to learn on very forgiving.

If you want good range you will spend 200 for the ground station tranmiter camera just to put on any craft you want. Then you might want to see the power that's another 16-300 bucks depending on how much info you want to see on the screen. It can get expensive quickly.

Mini quad with kk2 board camera transmiter will run you about 300. Now if you need a radio that's another 60 ground station another 100 or so. Frames are cheap motors are cheap esc are cheap everything is cheap but it all adds up.

What do you already have? radio? LCD screen? nothing?

Last edited by a moderator:

skan

I don'tm have anything yet.
Anyway, since what I want is quite expensive I think I'll wait to save some money, maybe next year.

Would you advise the Husban X4 or the Cheerson CX20?

Thanks.

ProfEngr

Bartman

Banggood is not reputable and is known to sell fakes of certain items like motors. their prices are cheap though so people roll the dice to see what they get.

hard to say, maybe give it a chance? for $69 at least you won't be risking a lot of money

ProfEngr

Yeah, I was reading some of the reviews and I think if I get this particular model, it'll be via Amazon. 2x the $, but easy returns if it screws up.

I have grand ideas of what I expect of FPV from a real multirotor system based on the youtube vids I've seen. The Hubsan (or if anyone recommends something budget-minded that's better) will hopefully let me know if it's just a fad for me or if I'm really as serious as I think. Seems to be the closest thing to a bird's view w/o having wings yourself.

Bartman

fwiw, i fly for a living and it's still a lot of fun to fly FPV. the small RTF quads will give you some idea of what it's like but the true thrill comes when you've got the goggles on and can't see anything else but the video display. if you've got a sensitive stomach it can make you a little sick actually!

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com and good luck with your new heli!

Bart

cootertwo

I must add, as is said many times, "you get what you pay for" most of the time. I got a neighbor interested in my multirotors, so he went to Sams club, and bought a quad w/transmitter for $80. He flew it a little in his front yard, but almost lost it in a breeze. Next time I saw him, he said one of the motors had quit. Also most times, anything ordered from china will take at least a couple weeks to show up. And like Bart said, the goggles are a real trip, but don't try them standing up, you'll probably fall over.

ProfEngr

Can't argue those points. Just don't want to offload $300+ and find out it doesn't meet my expectations. Made that mistake several times before with cars. I expect a sub-$100 toy to be just that, a toy. Something to learn on and get a taste of how things operate. I've read the real multi's are a dream to fly compared to a micro. Just more $ to fix after a crash. It's a tradeoff either way.

Still doing my research. Might end up going with a 250 class by the time I'm ready to commit.

cootertwo

It seems like with the popularity of these things, the prices are holding, and going up in some cases. Do a lot of searching around. I'll bet there are quite a few used setups out there at a good price, as people move up to something newer. It's like computers (well they are), buy one today, and in a couple of weeks, it's outdated. I'm not interested in selling anything, but I do still have an original Phantom. There's got to be a ton of them out there! Plus be advised that anything larger than a toy, will get you into buying spare batteries, and a decent charger, better transmitter, on and on.

ProfEngr

I'm thinking for a "toy" I'm going to try the Syma wifi in blue. I'll definitely hit the classifieds when/if i decide to step up the game. Most of the 'larger' units won't be good for flying around inside, but will stand up better to mother nature.

I agree with the additional items adding up. I about doubled the $ on Amazon when I started adding on spare parts and LiPo's. Figure I'd better get that later as needed. Almost forgot the charging bag. Even those little 600mAh 1S packs will cause problems if they go south.

Hoki

I just got a syma x8w and paid only 40 dollars for it. It was on sale from gearbest website. It took like 2.5 weeks to get here from china though. I inspected and tested it and it works perfect and was all sealed so it's legit but it's under the Christmas tree. They were having a crazy sale a while back like 60 percent off drones and stuff. I also ordered a bunch of parts off aliexpress to build my own big one and that website sells stuff for way cheaper than anywhere else I can find too for example on other sites they sell the APM FC for like 100 dollars and it was only 40 dollars on that site. I wouldn't order from amazon cause you'll end up paying at least double you would if you ordered from aliexpress. I think it's worth the 2 - 3 week wait. But check out the lipo battieres from gearbest cause that's were I got my 5500 3S flourten battery for only 15 dollars cause it's on sale.