Vertical Movement in outer Roxxy can

FlyEYE

I noticed that if I spin the props by hand a few of the motors make more noise then the others. Upon closer inspection there is some vertical play in the outer can of those motors. Is this normal? If not is there a way to fix it? The 3 phillips screws on top are tight. Thanks.

View attachment 10View attachment 9

Attachments

• outer can DOWN.JPG
    outer can DOWN.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 317
  • outer can up.JPG
    outer can up.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 291

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I noticed that if I spin the props by hand a few of the motors make more noise then the others. Upon closer inspection there is some vertical play in the outer can of those motors. Is this normal? If not is there a way to fix it? The 3 phillips screws on top are tight. Thanks.

First I'll say that I've noticed the same thing with virtually all the brushless motors I've owned to some degree or another, even when new. That said I'd ask how old and how much use on your motors? If they're new, it's probably nothing to worry about, if they're well used, I'd be looking at the bearings very closely as it could be a sign of wear and/or a bearing that is failing. If the motor feels rough or excessively notchy with occasional binding when turning it by hand then it's likely a bearing problem and should be looked at closer. I've opened up some of the Chinese motors I've had with the same problem and found it to be pretty much just a case of sloppy tolerances in the build and they're still working fine after hours of flight time.

Of the 6 Roxxy motors on my Hexa, a couple have vertical play and another one or two are noticeably noisier than the remainder. I disassembled them and oiled both bearings, it didn't really make much difference and they fly fine so for the time being I'm not going to worry about it though I will check them regularly to make sure they don't get worse, these motors have close to 10 hours flight time on them.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
in the big scheme of things i'd be curious to find out where roxxy motors fall in the quality scale. i've seen mention of other motors and esc's being used with MK's but haven't really taken the time to dig into it. i would think there are very affordable options that are equal or better quality than the roxxy's. it's the point of the whole forum thing to be able to discuss this stuff and not be hampered by the guys that sell this or that.
bc

FlyEYE

I have purchased the Hexa used, however it was to have had minimal use and that really does appear to be the case. I'll definitely keep an eye it but I'm a little relieved it may be normal albeit a little annoyed.
Anyone else notice the same thing, on the stock motors or others and which other motor would be preferable to the Roxxy?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I just checked my 6 AXi 2217/20. One has some vertical movement of the can.. the others are rock solid.. some thinks the the one with the movement is worn!

Best go check with the seller!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i just pulled my EPP props and gave the motors a closer look. all but one had about a half mm of play and they've got only three flights on them. one had no play at all. if the amount of play remains consistent over time then i'd say there's nothing to worry about.
forgot to say, they're the roxxy's that came standard with my Okto (the Okto that is never going to fly again if it doesn't stop snowing)
bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
There needs to be some amount of play to allow for heat expansion, otherwise the motors can bind up in hot weather. That said, most motors have a set screw that holds the can to the shaft, loosen the screw and it may be possible to remove some of the excess play by moving the can down lower on the shaft but make sure to leave a little play in the works. Some shafts have a flat cut on the shaft that may limit or prevent the can from being moved though it would be easy enough to make the flat larger with a Dremel.

Ken