USA East Coast Newbie to Quads, Hola

suzukii

Greetings everyone. I've read some good stuff here especially the warm advice I've seen from others to newer members here. I look forward to being on this forum for both knowledge gain as well as helping other newbies as I progress within this hobby. This all started with the idea that getting into this with FPV would be the coolest, live video game I've ever experienced. So far I'm far from realizing that until I get a stable Quad or Hexacopter that won't cost me more than my marriage or 3-4 car payments ($200 each).

My quick summary:
I'm new to the whole Heli & Quad adventure high I'm currently on. I've been with the hobby for less than 3 yrs tinkering with 400-600 sized Align electric helis & since Winter of 2010 with my Gaui 330X Quad,

Current Hardware on GAUI 330X:
STOCK, GU-344, Yellow & Blue bumpbers, yellow & blue matching props.

My rookie 330X Review:
Better than nothing, not stable, not even out of the box. Doesn't hold altitude for more than .5 seconds. Unstable in the slightest wind, especially descending.
It was ok for the money in the beginning until, I crashed it & then changed the blades with replacements. Well, I fixed it, somewhat, & it still flies, but not like when I first got it. I've re-sync'd the motors, still not stable. Now it has a slight rotation (Yaw) to the left I can't get rid of.
Oh well. Moving onto one of my wish lists' items, Quadrino Zoom. Any thoughts?.

Wish List:

(1) QUADRINO ZOOM for my 330X

Project for the near future:

(2) DJI HEXACOPTER FLYING WHEEL
WOOKONG-M SYSTEM

(3) Some type of 3-Axis Cam Gimble.

Current Transmitter/Receiver on 330X:
SPEKTRUM DX8 8 Channel Radio / AR8000 DSMX

Last edited by a moderator:

suzukii

Hi Kloner.
Thanks for the Welcome.

I spke with Paul over from witespyquad.gostorego.com & he's advising me that the Naza is a no-no for FPV. He mentioned something about missing ports for FPV servos. Unless I heard wrong.

kloner

Aerial DP
when you get into aerobatic fpv like juz style flying you'll run into some problems, but for a beginner looking for the easiest fpv flight they ever made and a tape on solution that just works, get the naza. Look around here, all of us fpv guys here are newer to the sport, are all rockin naza and all flying like we've been doing it forever

what servo outputs you talking about? It's not a receiver, it's a flight controler, has 2 axis gimble stabilization/control, can get gps for it to enable return to home if loss of signal. dunno, they seem like a no brainer for $220. if you own more than 6 channels worth of radio, the extra outputs would become servo ports for whatever. if your talking tri-copter support, it aint got that

Look forward to watching you grow in the sport

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Welcome! You don't mention where you're located but I'm in New England and right along the coast myself. Lately I've been doing solely FPV flying and right now I'm just starting the build of FPV quad #4, a QAV500 from FPVmanuals. Of the three I currently have flying two are Naza flight controllers with GPS, the other is a Mikrokopter setup. The QAV will most likely use a DJI Wookong-M mainly because I have two of them sitting on the bench not being used at the moment.

I usually fly at an AMA club field in Mansfield MA and there are more people in the club starting to get into multirotors with a few also doing FPV. If you're anywhere within driving distance of Mansfield you're welcome to come by and see some of our setups, if you have an AMA membership you're welcome to fly as my guest.

Here's a video that gives you a good look at the field from the air, recorded using my MK FPV quad on a windy day...

Ken

suzukii

Thanks for the welcome & the invite. Will take it up the next time I'm up there. I usually visit Springfield, MA, for the toy train shows. One of my other hobbies.
Also, I thought my signature was complete.
Anyhoo, Tri-state area myself. Palisades, NJ. I am an AMA member, but no fields around here close enough to call convenient.
I'm not a club member anywhere anymore. I'm done with their politics. I fly with a crew of safe & friendly pro's at some local parks in New York, mostly during the wee hours to avoid dangerous & curious spectators. Nice vid. Jealous.