Two Ecs wired in parallel for X8 configuration

maxwelltub

Is there a problem with having two escs battery leads wired together and running back to the battery in one set of leads? I know that they are all technically wired in parallel as it is, but is there a issue created when two are sharing leads? Assuming your wire is thick enough and not over extended.

maxwelltub

Ya it is pretty simple. This is not a sufficient response. I am going to put different props on top and bottom so the escs will pull differently, so in the end I will use separate leads just in case.

soler

Ya it is pretty simple. This is not a sufficient response. I am going to put different props on top and bottom so the escs will pull differently, so in the end I will use separate leads just in case.

Providing the wire is correctly sized this should not cause a issue. In a normal setup they are in parallel and each esc pulls differently based on what the FC requests. This is no different.

jes1111

There would be a difference if you wired them as described - the capacitor(s) on the "inboard" ESC would experience the spikes created by the "outboard" ESC as well as its own. Can't say what the consequences might be, but it's not something I'd try.

maxwelltub

Thanks Jes,
I had this similar thought but it was hard to tell because in a normal situation they are wired in parallel just with there own longer leads.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
fwiw, i've been wiring up my heli's with a harness for a couple of years now. the harness is an X of wire with two sets of leads coming out at the end of each so each set of two ESC's is being fed by a single branch of the harness. it's worked well for me, keep in mind there are spikes throughout the system if you're using eight motors. i believe it's overkill to try to visualize the dynamics of what is going on in these wiring networks. where there might be a high it's probably being offset by a low somewhere else. it's chaos in those wires but despite that my heli's seem to fly just fine without any undue wear or RFI in my wireless or control signals.

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluge2

Nah, the key is properly-sized wires. Think of the shared wires as the far end of a power distribution board. For the delivery of energy to the ESC, the electrons don't care about the shape of the conduit as long as there's adequate cross-sectional area for the conductor length carrying the shared current. And effective length would be the same as far as battery to ESC considerations.

Steve

There would be a difference if you wired them as described - the capacitor(s) on the "inboard" ESC would experience the spikes created by the "outboard" ESC as well as its own. Can't say what the consequences might be, but it's not something I'd try.