'twas abit windy!

ROVguy

Here's footage of me and my mate having a quick fly yesterday. It must have been blowing 20 mph but the Naza and GPS seemed to cope quite well, although the video is a bit lopsided in parts.

It was an enjoyable afternoon anyway, even considering I had a little crash (it's not on this vid), nothing was broken and the quad flew straight away! I managed to get some cracking fly pasts after the crash, unfortunately I didn't start the go pro properly and it didn't record any of it! I was gutted! I even checked out the fail safe, which worked even in these winds, if a bit slow.
Speaking of which, is it normally the case that you have to switch over to manual to drop out of fail safe mode? I tried dropping out in GPS and Atti but no joy, it worked in manual, but the wind just took the quad as soon as I switched over and I don't normally use manual at the best of times! To say it was a bit of a fright is an under statement! But anyway, I got it back in one piece.

http://youtu.be/eYH3Fkf0AbU

Bowley

Nice one Rich,
I dont think DJI's GPS hold can be matched at present, by the sounds of it, at least not by any other hobby grade GPS/FC.
I am quite amazed by mine in wind...man it just sits there pitched into wind.

Not sure what you mean by dropping out of failsafe in GPS/ATT modes.
I have my failsafe RTH or Auto land set on the slider instead of 'manual'. so to drop out out of failsafe I just select GPS or Atti on the 3 way switch.
so my flight modes are 1.GPS, 2.ATTI, 3.FAILSAFE.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROVguy

Cheers Steve, I have a 3 way switch set as the following, 1 GPS, 2 Atti, 3 Manual. I have a 2 way switch set for fail safe on and off. I was in gps mode and i turned the fail safe off, however, nothing happened, it still remained in fail safe from what I could tell. I tried switching to Atti, but no joy either. I didn't get any control back until switching to manual then I quickly switched back over to GPS mode. I've checked in the dji assistant and I know for a fact the fail safe switches on and off in all modes!

I must admit its got me scratching my head! Lol

But all in all, I had a very enjoyable afternoon and was pleased how the Naza and GPS performed. Even the fail safe return to home!

How's things with you?

Macsgrafs

How strange...I never fly in any of the auto modes, except when at high altitude & I want the cam op to do a full 360 pan. To be honest I can never put my faith into these things ;)

Ross

ROVguy

If it hadn't been so windy I would have given manual a shot, I'm still very new to this and learning all the time. I can count how many times I've flown on one hand! Lol I will get there though.

Bowley

To be honest Rich, Manual on Naza is not much cop, OK for a belt about, but if you lose orientation things can get a bit prickly. You will probably need to reduce your Rates or put a bit of expo in for manual Naza. If you like the more manual feel its nice to dial your auto level gains right down.
I like to keep things as simple as possible, 1 mode/fs switch is enough for me!I've even painted it red!!

ROVguy

I do feel more comfortable using the autos, but I would like to be able to do a few flips/rolls with the quad and Im afraid that that just isnt possible with my setup, unless I give it a try in manual :S

Pelted

is it normally the case that you have to switch over to manual to drop out of fail safe mode?

I believe so. I actually saw this documented and will see if I can dig it up. When I did my testing with fail-safe RTH I noticed I about panicked when it started toilet bowling 20m up and increasing speed on it's way down. I was flipping everything to get control again. After realigning the GPS and fixing that issue I tested more and absolutely verified that for me if I flip into RTH fail-safe a simple flip to manual gets me back in control rather quickly.

EDIT:
Okay found it, page 21 of the NAZA pdf manual. In the "Notices" box in regards to Enhanced Failed-Safe Methods:

When switch to Manual Mode or Atti Mode, MC will disengage enhanced failed-safe mode, you can re-gain control of multi-rotor.

However, Atti did not seem to work for me, but I may have been to impatient.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROVguy

Thanks for clarifying that pelted, at least now I know categorically how to get out of fail safe if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk