Trappy vs FAA

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
LOL, no. But that's why the FAA only allowed these flights to occur in the middle of bumf**** nowhere.

I believe one of them was a servo failure... I had to think... $100,000 and you're using hobby king servos? LOL

I remember a few years ago, one of the really big ones (Global Hawk) crashed in the sandbox, and they said the cause was a servo connector which became disconnected. Seriously? I have been using locks on mine for years! :highly_amused:

The ScanEagle was an engine out that happened in front of the FAA inspector on the second flight. Oil companies have been using UA hiding behind environmental research for years. The approval is just to straighten up that relationship a bit. There is an optionally piloted (OPV) helicopter coming up for consideration and some European companies also are trying to step into teh frame. I think its very important to remember that the two systems currently legal have had their paperwork and testing paid for by the US military, so the taxpayer. All pushed through in a time of war when spending is no object. The global hawk is a great example of a product built for those wars that now they are cooling off nobody wants. NG tripled its lobbying spending last year just to try and keep that one afloat. In countries with small UA regs Hobbyking servos and radios will not receive permission to fly commercially so its better to start adjusting the mind set away from them if you want a commercial future. Baring any major changes though the FAA are still saying 2020, forget the 2015 that every man and his dog that is not upto speed keeps trotting out, the privacy 1 year investigation ordered by the senate over ruled that. This shutdown is probably the best excuse yet to push it all back. I hope I am wrong on this front and it happens sooner.

To fight the tide though the FAA is having to act and why not with Trappy. If the FAA wins against the biggest FPV celeb out there you can be sure they will be after every commercial operation they can find. An FAA lawyer recently told Gene from sUAS News that the FAA has a long memory. We also have knowledge of meetings where other FPV videos were shown along with commercial ops. Pulling down your content now might help, but they have kept a large number of things. If they have your card marked, good luck!