Transmitter Choice (What to get)

markallan4

Transmitter Choice

Hello All
I’m new here I have enjoyed reading all the great info the site has to offer. I currently have this setup:

Phantom
Standard TX
FVP
DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
Mini OSD (Will be installed in the next day or so)
This will be used solely for the GoPro and video

In the next week or so I will be acquiring
Droidworx AD-6 HZL (Hexa)
DJI Wookong-M Flight Control
MD2 Camera mount with gimbal
FVP
This platform will be used to fly a Sony RX100 2 primarily for still images.

My primary interest is higher end still photos. I would like a TX that gives me at least 1 additional channel

I need:
4 Channels for flight control
1 Channel GPS/Ati/Manual
1 Channel IOC
1 Channel Tilt on the gimbal
1 Channel to trigger the camera

Am I missing anything for future planning? I do want telemetry with battery alarms. I do like the idea of the Spektrum DX9 but not knowing when I can get my hands on one could be a problem. Also the Futaba 14SGH 2.4GHz FASSTest looks good, that is the only one that supports telemetry.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I have not used Futaba. I was a Spektrum guy until I went to Jeti. Spektrum and Futaba both produce excellent radios and so make your choice based on the features you need. There really isn't much to differentiate them. With that said, having done a lot of research I think, if I was still stuck on a decision I think I would go with the Futaba you have mentioned purely because of Futaba's track record. Bearing in mind that the brand you choose now is likely to be the brand you stick with for a very long time when it comes to transmitters (changing TX AND RX tends to be very expensive). There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Spektrums by the way but if you look into Spektrum v Futaba it seems very similar to Apple v PC with regards to fan-base with Futaba equating to Apple as such. Maybe not the best analogy but you do hear of people going from Spektrum to Futaba but very rarely do you hear it going the other way round.

Now if budget isn't such a concern then the Jeti DS-16 is in a completely different league to Futaba or Spektrum in terms of telemetry and gimbals and pretty much everything else. But at something like $1,200 you need to be serious!

Last edited by a moderator:

rotorvista

The Jeti is worth every single penny, I have a DS16 and a Futaba 8fg super the only thing I use the super for is practice on the simulator. If you are serious get a Jeti there really is no comparison, with the available sensors it really enhances your flying experience and is money well spent. You can also have a nice lady telling you exactly what your telemetry status is real time aswell as all the info on a digital display, much nicer than a screaming alarm :) and the extra money compared to say the 14sgh you mentioned really isn't that much for what you would end up with if you went Jeti.

Thalios

I've owned everything Spektrum since the dx6 except the dx10t and I love them. I'm now flying the DX18 and it's a real beauty as well as extremely well done and powerful.

For what you want to do, the DX9 is a really good choice, but as the guys mentioned here, the Jeti is probably the top of the line at the moment. Only concern is the price, and the lack of entourage knowledge.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
and the lack of entourage knowledge.

Good point on this forum but if you look at other forums like Helifreak, there is an abundance of knowledge there.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The Jeti is worth every single penny, I have a DS16 and a Futaba 8fg super the only thing I use the super for is practice on the simulator. If you are serious get a Jeti there really is no comparison, with the available sensors it really enhances your flying experience and is money well spent. You can also have a nice lady telling you exactly what your telemetry status is real time aswell as all the info on a digital display, much nicer than a screaming alarm :) and the extra money compared to say the 14sgh you mentioned really isn't that much for what you would end up with if you went Jeti.

The 14SG also has voice announcements of telemetry. I have not had a look but what can the Jeti DC-16 do that the others cannot do?

Thanks.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: