Tracker TK102nano

rupP

This is my recent experience of the TK102nano as bought from EBayUK. It may help if you are considering a tracker.
The unit can be used as a Gps multi point tracker in real time, has an SOS feature that can be programmed to contact up to 10 numbers and can be used as a remote listening device too, but I'm only interested in the SMS locator function that sends a text on demand with coordinates along with a googlemap link.
There are many of these tk102s for as little £12 on eeebay but I decided to go with a recommendation an get one from "Rewire Security" at £27. Unit arrived next day which I thought was excellent given the free postage.
The unit comes with standard and magnetic backs, 2 batteries, charger, USB cable with uk plug adapter and a 2G SIM card - Lycamobile with zero credit. Oh, and a rather pathetic waterproof bag, the unit is not waterproof.
To get started you must register the SIM card in an unlocked phone to get the first credit installed but subsequent topups can be made from any phone so no further need to remove sim from tracker.
One of the reasons for getting the unit from Rewire is that it comes pre programmed and with a 2g card that is guaranteed to work and doesn't need to be charged with credit every month to keep it active like some do. The cheaper tk102s on eBay have to be "primed" by sending various coded texts to activate it, which, along with hit or miss 2g functionality from some SIM cards, seem to result in the majority of review criticisms. Mine has worked faultlessly so far but I have only used the SMS function.
I inserted a fully charged battery and snapped the non magnetic back securely into place then called it from my mobile. It returns a text with long/lat coordinates (8 digit), time/date, state of battery and a link to its position on google maps.
On calling you get a request to leave a message but hang up as soon as you hear the voice. A text will follow in about 20/30 seconds.
I clicked the google map link and it opened with a drop pin just outside Hong Kong, oops. The unit needs to be placed outside for a while to orient itself. Second attempt pinned a point about 300m away, third about 30m. Then within 5m, all responses since then have been within 5m regardless of where I put it. More than adequate for locating a flyaway!
However, be aware that googlemaps shows very little detail other than roads so if your bird flies into a void on the map, the 5m accuracy of the Tk is wasted unless the coordinates are used in a more specific mapping application (or indeed, a real paper map!).
I have an ap called Viewranger, which uses Ordnance survey maps, it's a great aid for outdoor activities, it works without a phone signal and will pin a lat/long position to 7 digits. Standard maps cover a large area (75square miles) at 1:50000. Small "tile" maps of about 5 square miles at 1:25000 can be downloaded for a fee. These show field boundaries and are ideal for identifying a point to within a few meters.
Yesterday, I left the Tk in the glovebox in my car in a valley that is known to have no phone signal from the main UK providers. I walked to the head of the valley, called the Tk which replied with a text. I put the coordinates into Viewranger and it pinpointed to within 5m (actually more like 2m). So in a scenario in which I fully expected this tracker to fail, it did in fact perform flawlessly :).
The battery has lasted for 8 days on a single charge with 9 texts sent.
I credited the Lycamobile sim with £10 of which £8.10 remains after 10 messages.

Criticisms-
The on/off switch has been disabled to remove any doubt about wether it is on or not. Removing the battery is the only way to switch it off, the button merely activates a green flash to show that it is working.
It is a little bulky to be called "nano". It weighs 56g.
Finish is faintly rubberised which may not give reliable adhesion to sticky backed Velcro. Zip ties would have to be cut every time the unit is used due to the need to remove the battery to switch it off.

Overall, I have to recommend this unit, IMHO it is £27 well spent. I'm confident of finding a flyaway that has one of these fitted.