Time for a new project or two

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Now that the USPS has officially lost my Pulso motors and speed controllers I decided to take a slightly different track for a bit. The intent was to put the Pulsos on the Hoverfly quad because in the current motors there's a rumbly bearing in one and a slightly tweaked shaft in another courtesy of the early days of the Hoverfly flip, the eccentric shaft gives it a bit more vibration than I like and those noisy bearings won't last forever.

Problem is there are no more Pulsos to be had at the moment and likely won't be for weeks to come until they get the new US distribution system up and running and since the ones I had purchased have apparently been beamed aboard an alien spacecraft from the USPS sort facility never to be seen again, I had to do something else to fix the problem. The answer was to place an order with Minsoo Kim in Korea for another set of the same motors currently in use on the Hoverfly and few other odds and ends as well. The motors are fairly inexpensive and I have to say have proved pretty robust after being unintentionally stuffed into the dirt several times from various altitudes up to almost 200 feet and the only damage has been a slightly bent mainshaft and some unhappy bearings.

While I was ordering things I added in one of the new KK controller "blue" boards with the ATMega 168 processor and running the C language code, now my aerobatic quad should prove even more agile. Well, since I was having things shipped anyway, might as well add a couple sets of center plates and a couple power distribution boards since I have a large stock of 1/2 inch square alloy tubing just begging to be made into mutlicopter arms, now I have something to tie them together in the middle. Just for good measure I'll throw in another set of those motors at $65 for 4 so I have enough to replace the not so healthy ones on the Hoverfly and still be able to outift another quad or maybe even a Hexa should I decide to go that route.

Final tally came to roughly $40 more than the Pulso motors and speed controllers would have cost and the end result will be at least one more quad or Hexa in the fleet, plus I'll have some spares on hand, can't be unhappy about that.

I see a new build thread just over the horizon... :D

Ken