Tiger Motors 4014 330kv or 400kv - which would you chose.

I'll be carrying a GH3 or GH4 on my Cinestar 8. If I stick with the props I use now it looks like I have to choose the MN4014-330KV or 400KV or the much more expensive U5..... unless I move away from T-motors and go with something else.... any ideas?

Look at the numbers on the MT4008-18 vs the MN4012 (400kv), the 4008-18 wins hands down in its ability to operate very efficiently at about 800 kg of thrust while also having the ability to make higher amounts when needed. The bearing tool I make reduces the time to swap bearings to almost nothing. I"m flying the 4008-18 motors at the moment and they're doing fine so far. the MN4012 is nice too but the weight of larger motors kills the plan when I factor in that I'm at about 14 pounds flying weight the majority of the time.

Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
whatever you do, if you have a definite selection for a camera, don't overpower the helicopter as they don't fly any better with too much power and too big props. they'll actually fly worse. you have to aim for that sweet spot of about 65% power at a hover to get a nice stable heli with good manners in a breeze

sk8brd

Peter-my 2 cents-400kv should be fine your not lifting a heavy setup. i would go with something most efficient look at your auw then divide by number of motors find the thrust you need per motor then look at spec sheets- match voltage and prop size e calc is no longer free so if you don't wanna pay a small fee this is the way to it.. the kde's look good on paper but not much in the wild. people on cinestars have got good results on u5's efficiency wise. one guy has a lot of data on freefly forum with an octo u5 build may be of interest to you. the u5's gave killer flight times for him. at the same time you don't wanna over do it if your on dji flight controllers they seemed to not like too much power on reserve i believe it's called light disk loading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman and Sk8brd,
Your postings are both excellent and timely advice. Seems to me that eCalc can give me optimum flight time at 50% throttle but does not account for ultra stable in a breeze or wind which seems to account for your suggestion to load the MR with camera enough to hover at about 65%...... or maybe I am missing something. Those U5 motors are significantly more expensive than the MN4014- 400KV motors but if the efficiency is there they might might be considered. I will have to see what Frrfly has to say on that topic. Hitting that sweet spot all comes down to the laws of physics..... and last time I checked.... laws of physics remains non-negotiable! :dread:

Peter-my 2 cents-400kv should be fine your not lifting a heavy setup. i would go with something most efficient look at your auw then divide by number of motors find the thrust you need per motor then look at spec sheets- match voltage and prop size e calc is no longer free so if you don't wanna pay a small fee this is the way to it.. the kde's look good on paper but not much in the wild. people on cinestars have got good results on u5's efficiency wise. i guy has a lot of data on freefly forum with an octo u5 build may be of interest to you. the u5's gave killer flight times for him. at the same time you don't wanna over do it if your on dji flight controllers they seemed to not like to much power on reserve i believe it's called light disk loading.

sk8brd

Scott- the thread is under the cs8 section called -my new heavy lifter project. i'm not sure if i can cross post on here with links. if the data was available here on here i would link the post. personally- i would aim towards 50% hover cause i am efficiency obsessed type of guy and play with gains to sort out any stability issues. although- i have witnessed on a my own craft that when i had a 42% hover it did become a bit less stable even when gains were changed so i changed my prop size by 1 inch and all was good. i did loose a little bit flight time but for me smoother video was more important and i ended up at 50 ish% throttle at hover anyways so still was ok. imho- i would say 65% is as high you'd want to go but if possible try to stay under that. you will need some power in reserve if you ever need to climb fast or loose a motor etc. it's really a balancing act as Bartman mentioned you wanna try to stay within a pocket of efficiency that plays nice with the flight controller but my way- is i go for 50% exact if i can then deal with things later and maybe play with prop size and weight of different battery sizes. just how i do things doesn't make anyone else wrong if they do things different.

Cameraj

Bartman ,
i have a question for you, I have an x8 with 2814 aerial media pros motors , I just bought a zenmuse z15 for a sony nex7 on a 4s system do you think that will lift it? Or do I need bigger motors?
thanks,