The Ultimate DJI 450...

If money were no object......!?!

If money were no object (I know that we are in a recession!) what would be the ultimate DJI 450 FPV setup?

I'm thinking GoPro Hero 3 but would really like to know what you think about motors, ESCs controllers, downlink etc...

Haleswoodcrew

SEP Flying Instructor, CPL UK

DJI 550
Torxmotors
Gopro Hero 2
Aeroxcraft u/c
EZ OSD
Immersion 5.8 downlink
3s 5000s

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont think you can get much better than what you have listed. If money were no object you wouldnt have any frames from DJI.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Depending on how much weight it will be lifting you could use iPower 2217-Q or if you need a lot of lift the 2814-Q with a set of 30amp ESCs reflashed with SimonK firmware. I've found APC thin electric props to be very good performers on the DJI stuff, very similar blade profile to Graupner but come in a much wider range of sizes and pitch. I have several different OSDs on my FPV quads and the best bang for the buck I would have to say is the Remzibi. If money is no obect then the EZOSD gives you pretty much everything you need on a multi. I have both Remzibi and EZOSD flying and I like both, the Remzibi is a bit more useful if you're going long distance, not usually much of a consideration on a quad though.

The Immersion FPV gear is very good I use it almost exclusively and it's all I use on the 5.8 frequency. My usual setup is a 600mw 5.8 Immersion with a skew planar wheel on the TX and an Immersion Duo 5.8 diversity using either a combo of a SPW and crosshair or a pair of crosshairs 180 degrees apart for coverage of long fields. I've found the SPW on the TX side with at least one crosshair on the RX side to be the best all around setup for 5.8 FPV on a multirotor, I get clearer video with no dropouts where the cloverleaf 3 lobe will glitch a bit when turning, that extra lobe on the SPW does make a difference.

As far as extending the landing legs, I typically use 5 or 6 mm carbon fiber rod cut to whatever length I want and tire wrapped to the outer edge of the landing leg on the DJI arm so they angle inward. A couple layers of heatshrink over the bottom end to give it some more diameter to sit on and that's it, cheap and easy to fix though it does tend to break easily on a rough landing but I'd rather that than an arm or something more expensive to replace. If you want to carry a camera underneath there are a lot of choices but the Aeroxcraft is as good as any, I have one of their 2 axis GoPro gimbals and it's well worth the asking price.

For FPV can the F450 centerplates and get a set of the TBS Discovery frame plates for it, here's what it looks like with the iPower motors, reflashed ESCs, EZOSD, and the Immersion FPV gear. Since this pic I swapped to APC props and the SPW antenna, flys great and it's now my favorite quad and my ultimate F450!

IMG_2662a_zps0daf165f.jpg

Ken

ornitho.de

Hi -

perhaps not a 450, but shurely a 550 for a big wallet … But maybe there are some parts you could use.

shop.picturepilots.de/index.php?a=61

Manfred

mailman35

id have to agree about going away from dji frames if money was no object, they are quite heavy when compared to other frame sets that you can buy or build.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
This guy is a bit of a shy one on the forum but he has the ultimate fpv set up that works.. Rtryders set up looks the dogs jobber but it aint stricktly a F450.. I am seeing Quattro this weekend so Ill get some pics of his set up.

He aint a video editor he just loves flying. He filmed me this weekend on a down hill track for over 2K and never lost me.. He has a nice little servo set up which he has mixed so it keeps the camera fairly level as he guns it forward.

Check this out. The intro is long but its worth it just to see how far he is getting.. Not strictly legal but hay ho.. each to there own. His spotter did keep his binos on it all the way - jump to 2.17 for the start of the chase

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
wait, was that a 2 person deal or are you saying the camera was always the same angle? seemed to change, didnt it?

Eoin

Really enjoyed that video Droider.
That track looks like good fun for both of you. Some nice flying.
Now, can you post the video biking up the track :)
Eoin