The cost of flying a Helicam per ounce

photobobga

I get asked a lot what is the cost to fly a helicam for 'professional use'. It's a question I don't like to answer, not that I'm hiding anything but adding up all the costs for this service is overwhelming. So inquiring minds want to know.... for every ounce of payload what do you think the cost is? I'm guessing $1,000.00 per ounce. That includes everything, aircraft, battery, video downlink, insurance, spare parts, and camera. I understand that cameras can very substantially, so for the sake of the question if your standard setup is a DSLR, mirrorless, or GoPro use that for the answer.

One ounce of payload = $xxxx.00 in equipment

-Bob

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
there is a very good thread on here answering this very question.. search posts by chrisviper. I think there was a very goos costing spreadsheet as well but I cant remember who posted it.. I cosed it half way though coz it was just to scary!

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Bob, it's a different answer for everyone, right? Your f550 weighs less than a DW skyjib. So add up the cost of your heli and divide it by the AUW of your gear. Just remember, the helicopter is just a paragraph, the video is the whole story. :) I'm sure a master sales guy such as yourself can figure out how to get top dollar for what you do.

And probably closer to $60/ounce.

Last edited by a moderator:

photobobga

Yuri... I think you have undervalued yourself. From what I remember your large helicam is over $7,000.00 in aircraft only. Add video links, batteries, charger, radio and a Sony NEX5 camera it's over $8,500.00 without liability insurance. The NEX5 weights 13.8 oz.

Your cost per oz. is $616.00 before your first flight.

The fold-n-fly maybe around 60 bucks an ounce.

Anyone else have an opinion?