Taranis offset not working naza assistant

Greg

In this video you can center/adjust control mode switch with offset in taranis.Why wont my taranis do so.I decided to use channel 7 as mode (U) because I have no other choice.Video at 4:15 he uses the offset to center pointer in assistant.What am I missing besides buying a simplier transmitter radio.
Is there another way to center/adjust pointer.Also if anyone has suggestions on a good simplier radio I would like suggestions,must have telemetry,sbus and only need 8 channels.Thanks for any help.

Greg

Not sure how to mark thread as solved or just delete.I have solved issue by using 5 pwm wires instaed of sbus.Works great.I would still like a recomendation on another radio though.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I know radios are like favorite motor oil, ripe for debate, but I had both actually. I sold the 14SG. Good radio.

But the ability to edit via computer, flexibility and very inexpensive telemetry is outstanding on the Taranis.

Greg

Hey bud!I am not using the taranis companion my usb is broken.I can program just fine without.I decided to take the X and Y (0)out of the equasion by mounting GPS directly above COG and entering vertical height (Z).The quad still is really unstable in the sense that it wont stay in one spot no matter what (ATTI).I read through 20 pages on this forum here the other day and found many issues that would indicate a faulty unit,mine doesnt have any of those problems.All lights work as what it should and should not do when performing different setup/configs.I am definitly building a 250 this winter and have decided on the CC3D as FC.
I will not be buying other parts just the fc for know to totally rule out the naza unit.I have seen a few builds using the CC3D on tarot 650 and they look really stable and smooth,even with all sorts of gear hanging all over the place.Cant hurt to try as I will be using the CC3D later for the 250 build.Anyway thats my plan of attack.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I know! I was going to put in that last post "greg, get that USB fixed!" But didn't want to harp on you :). The Taranis is a fine radio without it - with computer link it's set apart for sure.

Sounds like a good plan. If you can test the MR with a different FC, go for it. Might as well rule out the FC altogether.

When you say it won't stay in one spot in ATTI - are you talking vertically, horizontally or both?

I'm assuming you're not even messing with GPS mode for now? If you are, have you powered up and waited more than the 30-45 seconds you mentioned before?

Greg

I can get gps to lock no prob,multiple green,quick pulses then tapers to a few intermittent greens and a red or orange,not sure like the manual says is normal.I didnt/dont use GPS for the last 2 trials and the quad has right hori drift.I was thinking maybe I shouldint be such a puss and get her up higher.I havent gone above 10' or so in this state of uneasyness.The drift isnt abrupt like its taking a sidways dive.Its just a gradual slow drift that is hard to compensate and work my way out of.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
No, 10 feet is plenty high to get out of any ground effect. Smart move not to risk it higher.

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas if the radio trims/sub trims have all been zeroed, the DJI radio cal has been done, the dance completes successfully and everything seems balanced and level.

Have you checked your motor mounts to be level? That causes issues like this sometimes.

Greg

I put the quad onto granite kitchen counter which is totally even.checked counter level then put torpedo onto the quad body then folded arms kinda together and laid level across 2 arm mounts.Totally level.I did the stick cal like you recommended the other day and looked into channel monitor after.The naza software also shows sticks nicely functional,smooth and reach the end of bandwidths properly.I am kinda leaning towards the TX myself.I do have a flysky FS-T6 but havent tried it with that because the only failsafe it has is cutting motor power.If i could get this radio to trigger RTL then I would give it a shot.This is the place that I purchased a few months back.It has no telemetry or sbus capabilities.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
When you check the flight mode switch in the Naza assistant - the flight ode boxes light up correctly? Meaning, you have moved the end points to make the switch work properly within assistant? I don't know if that would cause the issue, but it's good to have the correct anyway. I think the Naza RTH should kick in as fail safe if you lose radio - so I don't think you need to worry about the TX/RX handling that. And as long as you were just testing it low and close - you shouldn't have an issue.

As far a leveling the motors, make sure you are checking the mounts themselves (and therefore the motors). Sounded like you were talking about checking the booms.

Greg

No I had the level on the flat plates that the motor screws to.Also why would it be balance when I could fly/hover around with the Vector?.anyway gotta get to work.I refuse to get angry and frusturated and consider it part of the process.I do like troubleshooting/diagnosing btw.I will check back when I get home.Have to go fix other peoples problems:confused:

Greg

The vector wasnt perfect.I did not to have to adjust anything in the vector software to have a stable enought flight (15' max) The only thing that needed adjusting was the taranis button trims a bit and was able to keep it up long enough to use a full battery.The vector is probaly a better flight controller out of the box and overall.This doesnt mean the naza isnt good,just that the vector is probaly in different league.Too windy too fly tonight.Again I dont think the naza is faulty.Some people had/have problems with the vector aswell.There are way too many variables to narrow down issues with either FC.I will have to figure out which setting in the naza will aid in having less pull to the right,or have it set to pull more to the left.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Technically, there should be no settings in the Naza gains that effect a pull left/right. That's what's making this so mysterious. I think we are either talking radio or motors being askew (which it seems you have covered).

If you haven't already. You might want to make sure all sub trims are at zero. All end points are at -100 and +100. Then do the stick cal again in both the radio and the Naza assistant software. That would ensure that everything is absolutely as centered as can be with the radio.

Greg

If I can get the flysky to trigger failsafe (RTL) I will try it with that.If it still flys awkward I will look into balance more thoroughly,and also set all basic/attitudes in the naza software to default.Recalibrate in software aswell as physically.Then I will take to large ballparks down the road with laptop and will be able to adjust settings in the naza on the field.Sounds like a good,productive project for the weekend.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds good. Just make sure you redo all radio settings before you do Naza assistant radio calibration. If the Taranis is off a bit (trims, sub trims etc) then the Naza is writing those miscalculations to the FC. That would definitely cause an issue.

The Naza should kick into fail safe if it loses radio signal. You can check by powering up normal - then just turn radio while it's on the ground. It should show the LED flash for RTH.

Greg

(Just make sure you redo all radio settings before you do Naza assistant radio calibration) will do.I think if everything flew/worked perfectly out of the box I would get bored of this new found hobby real quick,hence my computer/networking job.I cant wrap my head around the idea of getting one of those prebuilt jobs.BORING.Again,thanks for all the help and will keep you posted.;)