Taranis / EZUHF JR Module / IMRC EZUHF RX: any way to get RSSI?

chipwich

I've got 3 MRs now with this combo: Taranis TX with EZUHF JR module / EZUHF control RX (2 x diversity and 1 x 4 chn lite), and DJI NAZA V2 / iOSD mini. I have a fourth MR with EZUHF and EZOSD. The only time that I've had RSSI telemetry is either with an FrSky RX (before switching to EZUHF) or when using the EZOSD which has a dedicated cable to the EZUHF RX.

What I'm wondering is if there is any way to get the EZUHF RSSI displayed on the Taranis. One would think that with the JR module, you could send the RSSI down one of the channels from the RX and then somehow interface with the Taranis, since it is using the module.

Thanks guys and girls.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Really great question! Subscribed as well. Also, if to figure this out - slap it over in the Taranis info thread.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I don't know of any way to get the same RSSI you would use for an OSD back to the Taranis, but the Taranis does check the strength of the signal returned from the D and X series RX and that you can monitor and alert on the TXend. Probably the only way you're going to get RSSI data to the Taranis from non-FRSky RX is either though an OSD/video TX link for an antenna tracker somehow or if you have the ability to write code through some sort of custom programming, maybe...

I've seen mention of long range RX for Taranis but never seen them for sale, I would assume they go along with a TX module of some sort though there isn't much info that I've found so far about any of it. On the other hand, I've been out to close to a mile with a multi and still had a solid signal with the Taranis where my JR 11X was hitting failsafes at about 1/3 of a mile. Given the flight time vs. battery capacity ratio I don't see the need for much more than that. I've got an EZUHF plus a bunch of Orange LRS TX/RX stuff and once I started using the FRSky gear I pretty much retired all the 433 kit.

Now if you also happen to have a glider, wing, or FPV capable airplane then the long range stuff is a must if you're going for distance and/or endurance, but for the average multirotor I've found the standard FRSky stuff with their 40cm antennas on the RX end propped up in a V shape to be more than adequate for the range I usually fly, so I just use the built in telemetry and leave it at that.

Ken

P.S. - Chipwich, I have a Honey Badger frame plus I did my own 3D printed version of it...

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

P.S. - Chipwich, I have a Honey Badger frame plus I did my own 3D printed version of it...

Very cool Ken. Love the Honey Badger. I wondered where you resourced the orange arms. You bring up some good points on range. On the other hand, I live in a very hilly forested urban environment and frequently feel limited by trees and tall buildings. I've lost my 2.4 Futaba control before the 5.8 video once over tall trees. I watched my MR go into Failsafe and begin RTH, before reacquiring control. It doesn't happen often, but I didn't want my RC to have less range than video. We've also began switching to 1.3 for VTX to help with the tree and building issue. That plus the QAV540G has some pretty long legs for an MR. It pretty much doubles the flying area of the HB. Granted, you don't really need to fly that far in an MR, but nice to have the capability. I was using the HB for testing, but ended up leaving the 433 setup on.

chamanea

Very cool Ken. Love the Honey Badger. I wondered where you resourced the orange arms. You bring up some good points on range. On the other hand, I live in a very hilly forested urban environment and frequently feel limited by trees and tall buildings. I've lost my 2.4 Futaba control before the 5.8 video once over tall trees. I watched my MR go into Failsafe and begin RTH, before reacquiring control. It doesn't happen often, but I didn't want my RC to have less range than video. We've also began switching to 1.3 for VTX to help with the tree and building issue. That plus the QAV540G has some pretty long legs for an MR. It pretty much doubles the flying area of the HB. Granted, you don't really need to fly that far in an MR, but nice to have the capability. I was using the HB for testing, but ended up leaving the 433 setup on.

Hi, I'm having the same issue... did you finally find a solution ?

Can anyone point us where to purchase the orange arms and V base to place the antennas in a V shape ?