Taking the Plunge!

BLyPhoto

Hello One and All,
Just got a DJI 550 and Wookong M this weekend :nevreness:. I've been saving up for it for a while, but couldn't wait any longer. Hopefully this will be a good set-up for a novice. Enjoying the many discussions on this forum among others. I've been into rc helicopter for about three years and have always thought about getting into multi rotors. Eventually, hoping to get some aerial shots and some fpv with this thing. Any advices or suggestions are always welcome.
Regards,
Benjamin

Tomstoy2

Congradulations! You're going to love it, sepecially fpv when you get into it.

A couple suggestions;

1. Throw away the DJI props, get a set of APC instead. If you've been following the forums then you know why. It's hard enough learning to fly without a prop breaking in the air.

2. Check the bullet connector from motor to esc, if they have a 'ring' on them then cut them off and solder on a set of standard connectors. There is plenty of reports of these rings causing all kinds of havoc.

Other than that, the WKM is fantastic.
Chances are it will ask you to upgrade to the new firmware, 5.16. Go ahead and do this. I've been flying this firmware for a few weeks now and am impressed with it.
My basic gains are all 170 and only yaw is different, 160.
These gains should work fine for you, also. It's a good place to start at least.
Don't select the low voltage control. Leave it off and just fly with a full charged battery for 3 minutes, record your mah recharge and devide by 3. Just like you've done with your heli's. Then minus 20% from your battery capacity and divide the consumption per minute figure to give you your flight time. Use the timer on you radio to warn you when to land.
Later, if you decide to experiment with the lvc, that would be the time to do so.
No way in hell would I use it myself.

On your radio, do not have any trims or sub-trims, but do enter about 30-40% expo into ail, elev and rudder. Afterward, when you get used to it you can work out expo to your liking.

Of course, if you have any questions or issues, just ask away. The is a great community and people here are more than willing to help you out.

Have fun!!!

VINHEX

Welcome on board... You will not regret it at all. Have the same setup and love, changed props that's all..
As already mentioned if ya need any help, just place on here loads of guys willing to help. Happy flying

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD

BLyPhoto

Thanks for the info Tomstoy2. Great starting advices. And thanks for the welcoming message. Hope to learn alot and have some fun. Not much to do in Nebraska in the winter. haha!

VINHEX

Good man, I've never had trouble with mine.. But ordered anyway, LOADs of people have, good news if prop or motor fails on one arm WKM using 5.16 its supposed to help keep under control to land..

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD