Take your props off!!!!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
After four weeks meticulously rebuilding my ADX I was at the point of flyght testing.. Beautiful day no wind not a cloud.. wave the missis off on the way for a days biking while I got set to go fly.. One last check,

What happened... my ADX hit the kitchen ceiling gouging great chunks in it, hitting the light it inverted and smashed down on to the work top, motors still spinning props shattering, glass from the lamp shade falling led'd flying, and a motor ripped from its mount before I could blink and shut down..

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupidStupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!!

What a plonker.. now I will have to rebuild her again, new motor, new props and god knows what else.. PLUS if you dont here from me in the next 24hrs call the cops coz she will have killed me!

I can here the laughing out there but if this post stops one person doing what I stupidly did it will be worth the embarrassment.

Dead Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
dave,
how did it happen? the props just started on their own when you connected the battery?
i'm really sorry to hear you've bashed it up again. it's frustrating as hell when things just don't seem to want to go right.
bart

CopterCam

Dave,

Sorry to hear about this latest mishap,................ so frustrating after completing your rebuild to have this happen. Hope your OH is an understanding type........... remember your heroic actions in a split second minimized further damage and injury.;)

Sid

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Bart / Sid.. thanks for your kind words and humour... I like the split second saving of everything including my fingers!

What Happened.. well now I have analysed every move I made I know exactly what happened..

In fact Bart that could be the competition!

Why did my ADX hit the ceiling coz its a cracker! and it'll take some working out!

I could slowly give out clues over a week or so until someone gets it correct! + everyone will learn from my stupid stupid mistake!

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'd guess that the yaw and motor channels were reversed so it started when you tried to initialize it but you would have had to go to the opposite corner first which you probably wouldn't have done.
?????
hint to Droider: after a crash, when you're ordering replacement parts, order extra replacement parts because you'll soon need them (from my own experience at least) :)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Bart.. thats the bugger of all of this knowing what parts to have as spares.. my list is growing and so is the bill!

Your in the right direction with your Sherlock Holmes rational!

Pip

oops :(

It can happen to anyone, it happened to me as well, very scary!

I thought of a simple solution though - little prop locks that stop the motor/props rotating, they need only be weak because the the motor/esc types we use tend to have very little force when starting the motors turning.

But yes we all let our guard down at some point, all too easy to do - becareful!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Pip.. yep its a bummer but if I had followed my own safety rules it would not have happened!.. It was a lesson learned but the bloody hard way.. it was a bit like.. mmm I wonder if.... AHHHHHH!

Next time Ill be

RTFM! first

Dave sorry to hear about your incident. At least there was no injuries. I'll take a stab though it's probably not it. Was it this, Same as mine? I had my MK take off on me while on the work bench when I had it hooked up to MKtools and was checking individual motors. I didn't have it strapped down and had the props on the Hexa. I hit the slider a little too far on the MKtools and the Hexa flew up into the air by one props, about to flip itself over and land on the floor. I grabbed the opposite arm of the prop that was spinning out of reaction(very lucky, could have lost a finger or two) and the hexa came around and the prop started slicing at the top of my forearm....again very lucky it was the top and not bottom. It looked worse than it was and my wife said I had this weird look on my face like it was a badge of honor. I had probably 20 -30 small scratches on my forearm, looked like I got scratched to hell by a cat! I think the look on my face was probably a mix of terror, adrenaline, and excitement I wasn't worse off. It was scary!

We all do stupid things or over look things or take things for granted sometimes in this hobby. I learned my lesson that day as I'm sure what ever happened to you, you made a mental note for next time. Hope the repairs aren't bad or expensive. Good LUck!

Eric

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Eric.. I knew it had happened to others and with hindsight if I had stuck to my OM checking procedure I would have taken them off. I wrote it in to my OM when I had seen a couple of posts on other forums, but the weather was the best we have had all summer, blue skies and zero wind.. perfect for my recommissioning my ADX and I guess I was rushing to get out and do my fight tests.. Anyhow this is what I did

OK.. I was checking my stick inputs in the MKtool and needed to adjust my yaw servo input slightly to get it to match up. I unknowingly reversed the channels some how trying to get it corrsct, so when I went to check everything and recalibrate I started the motors and then instantly tried to shut them down but I had also reversed the throttle channel as well so stick down was full throttle.. BOOM! game over.

there you ave it.. I should have got the OM out for my TX and double checked but thats history.. LESSON LEARNED!

Dave

crcr

OPPS OPPS OPPS.. I hit edit post rather than reply .. must have been the sleep in my eyes REALLY sorry there Crcr!

BAsically CRCR was asking me if I was still alive and he did the same thing but at least had his MR strapped down..

Sorry for the earley morning mistake

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi crcr

Welcom to MRF.. Yep I am still alive! Thanks for asking. The bollocking was not as bad as I thought it would have been, mainly I think because she has seen how hard I have been working to get my ADX back up in the air after my crash.

Hope you enjoy your experience here at MRF. We are a friendly bunch and will do what we can to help is we can in times of trouble and hopefully learn something from you experiences to.

Let us know in the new members thread where on the globe you are and what you are flying or hoping to fly..

Dave

Crash

Defies Psychics
I think that a multirotor hobby requires a current limiting power supply for a number of reasons. This would be #2.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Guessing that if I had a current limiter my motors would not have been able to run up to full power.. Great idea saves mucking around all the time with the props. Waht number 1 Crash?

Crash

Defies Psychics
Guessing that if I had a current limiter my motors would not have been able to run up to full power.. Great idea saves mucking around all the time with the props. Waht number 1 Crash?

#1? Avoiding electrical damage....saving the Bl-Ctrls, testing the boards, and uploading firmware.

I can't tell you how many uses you will find for one once you have one. But, yes, if all props started at full power it would have overloaded and cut voltage and current to the point where the processor resets.

It's still not an alternative to safe practices. Mine goes to 3 amps and it's still enough power for a single powered prop to flip an Okto into your face.