ChrisRL

Greetings!
I'm doing some pretty heavy research into building a Tarot T-18 heavy lifter, and recently came across this video on YouTube about a fellow testing one out:

Thing is, it has some kind of rising arm setup, possibly three-piece arms? with a tilted motor mount on the end, that's definitely not Tarot stock T-18, which is a flat 8, if I'm correct.

Anybody come across this before? I messaged the OP but so far no reply, apart from the tilted mount adaptor deal. I kind of like the dihedral effect, a lot like the X series Tarot frames - but not!

Thank you!

The motors still appear level even though the arms step up. The only reason they do this is to get the props out of the cameras view. Or at least that's how I understand it.

ChrisRL

John, hello!
Yes, that's the configuration of the Tarot X frames. But the T frames are usually built with straight tubes, no dihedral at all. And this one looks like it's not even straight tubes, but it seems like there's a straight section coming off the center plates, then a joint to a higher center piece, then another joint to a third, even higher piece that then goes to the motor mount, which has some kind of a wedge tilt adaptor to bring the rotor to somewhere closer to upright.

Actually, DJI made a deal of the tilted booms - claim that the downwash is better in ground effect since the props end up pushing slightly towards the centre of the drone and not straight down, creating something of a sideways air flow to make the air under the descending or hovering aircraft less turbulent. I think that's a solid concept, plus a great idea to boot!

Yes, the X frames do weigh more than the T but to my mind there are two or three gains to be had from the added weight:
a) that "dihedral" effect
b) umbrella folding means a carrying case of smaller overall dimensions.
c) roomier center cabin, without the pipes running "under the ceiling".

Anyway, I heard from the OP, and they're simply tilt adapters he added to each end of each boom. Cool idea though, so mystery solved!!
Thanks all!