Switching to home lock, can I do that after it has traveled some distance away

bensid54

I have a Naza light controller, DJI 450 Flame wheel and Futaba 12FG radio system. I fly in GPS mode with my Fat Shark and keep it close by within sight or in an area I know. My question is can I switch to home lock from manual after the quad has travelled out of sight and will it recognize it's take off location as home or will it assume home is where the switch is turned on?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
As long as you have set your home point before taking off it should all work fine.

Pete

Tell me Pete how do I set my home point before flying with home lock off?
Ben, it does it automatically as soon as GPS position has been established. It's the fast green flashes you see shortly after powerup once 5 GPS satellites have been tracked. From the manual:
"Home-point: Before takeoff, current position of multi-rotor will be saved as home-point by MC automatically when you start the motors for the first time after 6 or more GPS satellites are found (red light blinks once or no blinking) for 10 seconds."

deluge2

Technically, this info is for NAZA-M v1 and v2, not NAZA-M Lite, and AFAIK, the latter has it's own firmware (which has not been updated) while the v1 and v2 share the same firmware upgrade paths. Bensid54, if you haven't already, you may want to take a look at the NAZA Lite support docs available from DJI (see support tab at dji.com). There's lots of information in the manual, and while the descriptions aren't as clear as one might wish, it's well worth the time to read it over *several times* to really understand what's going on. Also it's probably a good idea to work with the IOC modes initially under controlled conditions rather than waiting until they're needed in an emergency situation.

The current NAZA Lite docs indicate slight (and trivial) differences (vs. NAZA v1 and v2 docs) in when Home Lock is automatically set. Note that you can also set the Home Point manually. Here are the steps (reworded for clarity) for the NAZA Lite flight controller:

There are two ways to record the Home Point - Manually and Automatically:

1. Automatically: Before takeoff, the current position of the multi-rotor will be saved as the Home Point by the flight controller automatically when you push the throttle stick for the first time after 6 or more GPS satellites have been found (LED pattern: LED blinks RED once or no RED blinks at all) for 8 seconds.
  2. Manually: When 6 or more GPS satellites are found (LED pattern: LED blinks RED once or no RED blinks at all), you can toggle the X2 channel switch quickly 3 to 5 times to record the current position of the multi-rotor as the new Home Point. How you do this depends on whether you have IOC controlled by a 3-position or a 2-position transmitter switch. To manually set the Home Point you toggle between Course Lock and Home Lock positions (assuming IOC uses a 3-position switch with OFF, Course Lock, and Home Lock positions) or between OFF and Home Lock positions (assuming IOC uses a 2-position switch with just OFF and Home Lock positions). The LED will blink green several times (?10x?) quickly if the Home Point has been successfully set manually.

Steve

Ben, it does it automatically as soon as GPS position has been established. It's the fast green flashes you see shortly after powerup once 5 GPS satellites have been tracked. From the manual:
"Home-point: Before takeoff, current position of multi-rotor will be saved as home-point by MC automatically when you start the motors for the first time after 6 or more GPS satellites are found (red light blinks once or no blinking) for 10 seconds."