XAircraft Super X GPS quit working.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I was doing some tests yesterday and again today. No crashes, hard landings etc. Between flights I was making some gimbal changes and downloading logs to look at vibration. Last 2 flights yesterday, couldn't get GPS lock and looking at log, it showed no satellites found. Continued through 3-4 flights today. Connected though free connector. Cable and cable connector look fine. Everything else seems fine.

I getting no errors, but just a single green (same as ATTI mode) when flip to gps mode. Black box shows 0 satellites.

GPS unit also includes compass. MR flies fine, so I don't really know if compass is working or not.

Online, there is a dealer in the U.S. that list the puck and compass for something like $165.00. Not something I just want to buy for the heck of it.

I thought about taking the puck apart, but the compass is / might be downstream so it may be connected. Since nothing had been moved, best guess would be an electronic failure in the compass or gps, but that's just a wild guess.

Any idea what my next step is or options.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
is there anything in the firmware where GPS functionality has to be turned on? is there an indicator in the software to show if satellites are in view by the FC?

jfro

Aerial Fun
is there anything in the firmware where GPS functionality has to be turned on? is there an indicator in the software to show if satellites are in view by the FC?

I went through the App and there is nothing there about turning it on or off. Nothing in software. Software is very slim, not alot too it.

It was suggested that maybe I can rebuild the software on the FC. Might look into that.

The simplest thing would be to try another puck. Nobody around here to borrow one from and I'm not going to spend $165 just yet. I got a MiniX in last week and flew in on a heavy quad and a 18 lb hex. Compared it to the SuperX on the hex and it wasn't bad. Acquired more Satellites than the SuperX. Think I paid $139 for the MiniX. Go figure.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
There is no On or Off switch for GPS, the led will give you the indication as to status, true! SX will operate without GPS using a combination of compass and other telemetry, a reason fly aways don't occur.

Do you have a smart phone with GPS?, you could see if that is getting a 'lock' using the phone compass/gps

If the BB is showing no satellites ensure all connections are secure into the puck and IO/FC, of course I assume you are outside and away from anything that could be interference

Good Luck with it

X

jfro

Aerial Fun
There is no On or Off switch for GPS, the led will give you the indication as to status, true! SX will operate without GPS using a combination of compass and other telemetry, a reason fly aways don't occur.

Do you have a smart phone with GPS?, you could see if that is getting a 'lock' using the phone compass/gps

If the BB is showing no satellites ensure all connections are secure into the puck and IO/FC, of course I assume you are outside and away from anything that could be interference

Good Luck with it

X

I am launching from the same place I always do. I also went to a 2nd spot. Have checked the connections and changed to a new one. Just weird it just quit working. I'll try again tomorrow. Have the MiniX on a large quad. Will take that out and see if it get's a lock. I flew both FC's once last week an hour apart, and I got more satellites with the MiniX that I usually get with the SuperX.

dazzab

I had a crash with my SuperX once and after I repaired the copter the GPS wouldn't work no matter what I tried. I was totally convinced it was the GPS but Anthony thought it was unlikely and asked me to keep troubleshooting. Fortunately I had a second copter with a SuperX on it so I could swap things around. You'll never believe what I found. The puck stand that I purchased to replace the one I broke in the crash was made of metal and it was causing interference. I put it on another puck stand and it worked just fine. If I were you I would take the puck off the stand and hold it as far away as you can from the copter to see if it gets a signal. As I said, I couldn't believe it when it happened to me but I tested it several times and that puck stand was definitely the issue.

jfro

Aerial Fun
The puck stand that I purchased to replace the one I broke in the crash was made of metal and it was causing interference. I put it on another puck stand and it worked just fine. If I were you I would take the puck off the stand and hold it as far away as you can from the copter to see if it gets a signal. As I said, I couldn't believe it when it happened to me but I tested it several times and that puck stand was definitely the issue.

I got all excited and made a new puck stand, as I had changed it. didn't seem to help. Still getting single green flash (same as ATT mode).

Took it off and held it up. Still nothing. I'm going to try to recalibrate everything and see if that helps, which I doubt, but will try it and put my old trusty Naza v2 back on. I put the MiniX where the SuperX had been on a heavy quad, so I'm not without a MR, just kind of a bummer for a $600 FC.

Having another unit would be the way to go by swapping out parts. But, no one around here has one nor do I.... Maybe my dealer would test it for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was anxious to give it a try once I though about it that I had changed the puck stand. I did fly a couple times before quiting on me on the new puck stand, so I guess it was more wishfull thinking.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
SO.. when you put the radio into GPS you are only getting 1 green flash? That’s ODD. As you shoudl get 1 green and 1 red if the GPS was just not getting signal. (or if the GPS is not plugged in, it will only go to ATTi mode hence the 1 green flash)

So that leaves two things that could be wrong.

1) Somewhere your wire has broken (even inside the white rubber cover) did yo9u have the GPS wire ziptied down in any sharp angles? If so this could have severed the wire internally. Try plugging the GPS into a different port on the IMU. I know it sucks to try to find an internal wire break, but this would only really be the case if the GPS cord was pulled out of teh IMU in a harsh manner or the wire was ziptied down in a hard manner..

2) Any chance your 3 position switch is not “actually” going to the 3rd position? Can you monitor the channel and make sure pos 1 = 100% pos 2 = 0% and pos 3 = -100?

Check both of those things

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The puck stand that I purchased to replace the one I broke in the crash was made of metal and it was causing interference. I put it on another puck stand and it worked just fine.

and that my friends is the most beautifully helpful thing any of us will read all day!

and what sleepy wrote of course but he's my cuz' so i have to say that!

jfro

Aerial Fun
SO.. when you put the radio into GPS you are only getting 1 green flash? That’s ODD. As you shoudl get 1 green and 1 red if the GPS was just not getting signal. (or if the GPS is not plugged in, it will only go to ATTi mode hence the 1 green flash)

So that leaves two things that could be wrong.

1) Somewhere your wire has broken (even inside the white rubber cover) did yo9u have the GPS wire ziptied down in any sharp angles? If so this could have severed the wire internally. Try plugging the GPS into a different port on the IMU. I know it sucks to try to find an internal wire break, but this would only really be the case if the GPS cord was pulled out of teh IMU in a harsh manner or the wire was ziptied down in a hard manner..

2) Any chance your 3 position switch is not “actually” going to the 3rd position? Can you monitor the channel and make sure pos 1 = 100% pos 2 = 0% and pos 3 = -100?

Check both of those things

1. I have wondered about the wire, but not sure how to find a break in a molded cable. Hasn't been crashed so no pulling out in harsh manner. Externally on both ends of cable, it looks fine. Has been pulled out a couple times as I've put in on and off 2-3 times on different MR's this week testing. I have never seen the type of cable end they use, so don't know what he is.

2. First thing I checked was my 3 position switch. It's reading properly 100, 0, -100.

It makes sense it could be a cable break as in the black box data, compass data is also a flat line besides satellites reading 0.

I've discounted it being the I/O box as I've tried to ports on that and I'm guessing it it were dead, nothing would work.

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Anyone near you have another SuperX to try the compas/GPS from?

This stuff does suck, the stuff that is not obvious is a real PIA!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Anyone near you have another SuperX to try the compas/GPS from?

This stuff does suck, the stuff that is not obvious is a real PIA!

Not that I know of. I got email back from dealer that I asked if they could test and got a negative or no answer on the testing.

Suck is not a strong enough word for what I'm feeling right now......

dazzab

I sure wish we lived close enough so I could swap a GPS puck out for you. But it appears we are about as far apart as two people can get on this planet. Although I'd love to visit New York. I think at this point talking to your dealer for assistance is the only option left. Let us know how you go.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Come to New York in June to July. To cold in winter. Fall is nice in upstate for color. I'm 6 hrs for NYC in western upstate NY, up by lake Ontario.

Emailed dealer asking him if they could test it for me with a couple other questions. His reply didn't include an offer to help/test. Emailing him back with just the one question.

I flew it 2 nights ago for it's last flight on the X8 (in ATTI mode) with my gh3/Centerpiece /gimbal. It's just in front of my house, but footage was extremely smooth and I think I've finally dialed in my Horizon issue a bit with centerpiece.

SuperX is now on the shelf, a $600 boat anchor. Not sure what the fate of the SuperX is right now.... If nothing else, I'll hook up with someone in the North East some time that has one and maybe swap out some parts.

Thanks for the help everyone....