XAircraft Super X and Jeti Hicopter esc

Darson Hall

I have installed the Jeti Hicopter 40A esc on my new X8 build. It would appear that these escs don't get along well with the Super X. The radio (Futaba 8FG) connects and I have reversed the sticks and done the stick calibrations. Plug the flight battery in and nothing, not a beep or a peep. Read hundreds of posts. Thought is was a throttle end point problem. Worked my way from 135, 100 — 100 135 to 135, 85 — 85, 135. Nothing. I had a Naza M laying around so I swapped that in and the Super X out. Esc's fired up, motors spun. Then I installed the Super X on a Quad I had with Lumenier Simon K 30A esc's (BEC's with 5v/3A). Super X armed escs, spun up motors.
So it would seem the Super X with these Jeti esc's needs the 5V/3A (which it gets from the Naza FC but not the Super X FC).
Do I tear the build apart and install other esc's and if so what would you recommend? OR is there another viable option—perhaps a Ubec to provide power to the Jeti esc's?—this sounds messy and seems to add more possible failure points, but I have no experience with Ubec's.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Darson

mediaguru

I don't understand: "So it would seem the Super X with these Jeti esc's needs the 5V/3A"

I do know that the SX seems a little picky about what ESC's it likes. I also had issues with my SX until I made sure it was getting power directly from the flight batteries and not through a BEC or regulator.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I think it is to do with how endpoints are dealt with. I could be way off here but the SuperX may well be tuned to deal with Futaba endpoints ie 1.1 to 1.9 ms pulse width whilst Jeti does the whole hog ie 1.0 to 2.0 ms. If this is the case then the Jeti ESCs are simply not seeing the throttle at zero and are therefore not arming. So as a test, calibrate your TX to the Super X normally and having done that start to extend the lower end point of your throttle channel until you hear the arming tone and then leave it all at that.

Darson Hall

I don't understand: "So it would seem the Super X with these Jeti esc's needs the 5V/3A"

I do know that the SX seems a little picky about what ESC's it likes. I also had issues with my SX until I made sure it was getting power directly from the flight batteries and not through a BEC or regulator.

Yes my esc's are getting power directly from the flight batteries. I have connected a SuperX and a Naza FC to the exact same setup and the Naza fires up the motors but not the SuperX. I have also done as Carapau has suggested and lowered the end points... endlessly. One major difference between the Naza/SuperX is that the Naza sends a voltage (5V) to the esc's and the SuperX does not. It appears that these particular esc's require that to arm. Thanks for the responses. Time to fire up the soldering iron, I think these esc's will be coming out.