Stock DJI 550 Motors "How Long Do They Live"

Warlock

My brother and I both have DJI WKM 550's with stock motors. My brother runs 4s and I run 3s. We both have quite a bit of time on the motors or at least we think so. Neither of us runs the crap of the 550's just easy going but I would guess that I have over 15 hours total time on mine. I wonder if I will get any warning as to a failing motor or will it just stop in mid air and cause a flip over or something. I have not up graded my software or firm ware to allow for a possible recovery from a dead motor, if indeed that fix is in there. Since my 550 flys perfectly, gives me no troubles, return to home works perfectly..etc. I dont want to mess with it.

I run Graupner props and always have and my motors never get hot unless its very hot out side, and if so I dont fly unless I cool the motors between batterys. As it is now in cold weather, I can fly all day and the motors dont get evern warm. Last question on the motors. Can they be lubricated? Do they need it?

Thanks very much....

Good but challenging questions .....IMHO If the manufacturer will not provide the design life for normal wear and tear it would be anyone's guess. Don't know about the lubrication requirements of motor bearings either. Too much lubrication might also cause damage to the motor contacts and/or coil insulation so caution is advised.