Steeper pitch props?/Tarot 650

Greg

Good morning folks.I currently have 1355 Carbon props.Tarot 650/580kv sunnysky/Naza M-V2/4S/
With no gear in manual mode I need approx 55-60% to loiter.I was thinking of a steeper pitch(13.6) may help.I dont think larger is the answear.Good or bad? Any tips greatly appreciated.Basically looking for a bit better hover.Other then that this machine handles beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Greg,

Which flight control system? Generally speaking, 55 to 60% is a great place to be for hovering if you want good efficiency, nice handling in breezy conditions, good control response, etc.

Greg

newest naza.I understand the relation to motor kv and prop size.Most with my frame (Tarot 650 are swinging 15'' with lower kv (380) Mine handles extremely nice in manual mode.I dont want larger props just a little better response and low end punch(climb)I do realize the trade off for the steeper pitch.I use 1355 currently and have just ordered 1365.I guess one way to find out.I thought perhaps someone would see my post that has tried steeper pitched props witha comparible sized frame to mine.

Bartman

i've experimented with all sorts of props, believe it or not the steeper pitch props will hover at about the same power but will get you more push on the top end. that sounds about exactly what you're looking for, let us know how it works out

Greg

Thats exactly what I am looking for.The guys swinging 17'' on a 650/680 may have nice/longer hover time,but from what I have read the quad is mushy.My setup is perfect.Stable,responsive and with these props it should have that little extra punch.Thanks btw for responding.I will post back with results.Here is a pic of my quad
http://imgur.com/NR7lAhO

glider

Those look like Tarot props. If so, and the thrust is >400-500g, they flex. Not just the tips, but the entire length of the prop. This leads to oscillation, vibration and poor performance. They are weak. I tried using them on a 3.2kg Spy 750 Y6 and they didn't work well.

There's a reason why T-Motor and Foxtech abandoned the dihedral tip prop design and came out with V2.

Currently I'm using Xoar 15x5 top and 14x7 bottom. So far this has been the best for stability even in high wind, but there is an efficiency penalty compared to genuine TM CF, which doesn't offer anything in the way of pitch choices. Xoar on the other hand has just about any combination one could ask for.

Personally I'd experiment with APC MR first.

Greg

The pic is T-motor stylr 1355.I have ordered 1365 single hole which will be attached with sleeves and a nylock.So what do you suggest for a slightly better loiter to throttle %.This copter is amazing with the 1355 as shown in pic,but just want a little bit more punch.I was thinking of going to a 6S setup in the future if that is what it takes.

Greg

And esc's.But thats for the future .Just gonna enjoy my build that I am quite pleased with.When I decide to carry any gear then I will have to upgrade though.I am curently researching powerful motors and esc's,props and battery configs.Those 580kv will have use for something else.No doubt there.Just ordered 2 thunderpower 4S today.My genace is pooched.I know gens have a good rep but decided to give thunder a try.Plenty of choices @ dragonfly which is in Canada.Will have by friday.

glider

Motopreserve is right; 6s would toast your motors.

I think you have it right. Just enjoy your build that works and you like it. There's can always be another project on the books for another build :)

Greg

Those look like Tarot props. If so, and the thrust is >400-500g, they flex. Not just the tips, but the entire length of the prop. This leads to oscillation, vibration and poor performance. They are weak. I tried using them on a 3.2kg Spy 750 Y6 and they didn't work well.

There's a reason why T-Motor and Foxtech abandoned the dihedral tip prop design and came out with V2.

Currently I'm using Xoar 15x5 top and 14x7 bottom. So far this has been the best for stability even in high wind, but there is an efficiency penalty compared to genuine TM CF, which doesn't offer anything in the way of pitch choices. Xoar on the other hand has just about any combination one could ask for.

Personally I'd experiment with APC MR first.
Not much luck finding 14.7'' props.xoar is pricey,I realize the quality/price point but..I dont want to spend $50.00 dollars a prop either.I would prefer a canadian supplier aswell.Perhaps you have a retailer that you have used in the past besides foxtech?.You mention CF not ridgid enough?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Motopreserve is right; 6s would toast your motors.

Greg says he has "580kv sunnysky" motors. Well, Synnysky makes at least three motors with 580 kv (V3808, X3508S and X4110S). However, none of them has anything else than 14.8 volt in their spec sheets.

Greg

Greg says he has "580kv sunnysky" motors. Well, Synnysky makes at least three motors with 580 kv (V3808, X3508S and X4110S). However, none of them has anything else than 14.8 volt in their spec sheets.
I know this(6s would toast your motors).My future upgrade will consist of 6S rated motors and esc's.I wasnt saying I was going to try and use a 6S battery with my current sunnyskys.

Bartman

Not much luck finding 14.7'' props.xoar is pricey,I realize the quality/price point but..I dont want to spend $50.00 dollars a prop either.I would prefer a canadian supplier aswell.Perhaps you have a retailer that you have used in the past besides foxtech?.You mention CF not ridgid enough?

i have A LOT of Xoar props in storage, 12" through 15", i'm not sure the quantities but i'll inventory them when we're in the new house in a few weeks if anyone is interested

Greg

Sounds good.I just found some carbon 1447.they have a round more paddle like appearance that I see tarot users have.They are $20.00 for 1 set.The only way to get a good config is to test personally.No rush for the props though.Go figure I have the week off and no lipos till friday:(

Pumpkinguy

Good luck finding props in Canada or most anything for that matter. There are a few decent online retailers but inventory is small. We don't have anything up here that compares to The American or Asian dealers. Not even close.

I would order from foxtech but I always use DHL shipping or the wait is LOOOOOOOOONG.

Greg

Pumpkinguy

I hate to break the news to you bro. I order a lot of crap.. Canada post charges duty all the time. If it's a cheap order < $100 they normally don't but over that they charge all the time. My recommendation to use DHL was from Asia. Unless you want to wait.