State of Readyness

matwelli

What do you guys do ?

Situation, get home from work, have a perfect opportunity to pop out for a quick 1/2 hr fly/photo op (weather clears, kids behave etc) but its at least 45 mins to charge the lipo etc - opportunity lost.

or Driving to work/for work , and suddenly see something you want to fly over/shoot - same problem

What do you guys do ?

From this site http://www.rcheliresource.com/lipo-tip-for-winter-season-from-progressiverc/ I see a normail lipo loses 4% of its capacity, stored at 25 deg C, and 40% charge

Fully charged it loses 20% of its capacity if stored that way for a year.

Im thinking to cycle 1 pack per week (keep 3 at 40% and one at 100%) every week, if not used, flatten it and charge another.

Degredation of each pack would be 3% for the 3/4 of the year its at 40% and 5% for the 1/4 of the year its fully charged - total degredation about 8%

Whats your thoughts ?

Efliernz

Pete
I have had many thoughts like this Matt over the years... I leave a pack charged all the time.
I have found that even those who treat their batteries perfectly, discharging when not used to "storage levels" still see a steady decrease in their performance. I have been helping a mate in Christchurch who is flying commercially a large video machine on Govt contracts. He has been paranoid over the way he treats his packs... and he has over 20 6S52000+6000 packs. Logbooks... discharging etc etc.... but he is having some packs fail after 20 uses no matter what. He gently flies the machine, barely pulling 5-6C during operation.
The packs are not aging well... from cheap to expensive - it doesn't matter.

Sooooo you can stress and analyse this do death. Or you can keep 1 pack charged all the time, discharge it at the end of the week on the yard and charge another up... or open a beer and say Happy New Year, grab a Tx and poke some holes in the sky...

Happy N Y mate :)

matwelli

I like that reply Pete :)

Cool, not going to worry to much then, will keep a pack charged and the quad in the boot of the car :)

I have some packs from 2009......

Happy NY to you to mate , will i see you on the 3rd at the nats ?

Efliernz

Pete
No such luck. Going bush and coming back on the 3rd. I have extra family in the car so a stop-off ain't looking good :( You guys should have a blast...

cootertwo

I charge my lipo's after flying, and store them in a steel ammo box. Haven't had any problems at all. Only packs that have given problems, are ones that I flew way too low, puffed, hot, never the same again.

matwelli

yea...i have a couple of packs like that...getting carried away flying.

Maybe I have been overthinking this whole battery thing :)

Old Man

I just charge them after using them and don't worry too much about the loss factors. The only batteries I know of that doesn't self discharge a lot and manages to handle the cold pretty well are A-123 and Eneloop types but they don't fit our aircraft very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Ordinary alkaline batteries last longer (lower self discharge) if stored cold. Is the same true for LiPo batteries?

Old Man

Does that mean we have to reduce the ice cream inventory to replace with batteries? Tell me that isn't so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Man

Reminds me of this past week where I was cleaning things out an found an unused roll of 400ASA 35mm film...