Some thoughts about flying on the beach (fine sand)

so my beach is empty in the winter, I'd like to do some flying here, but the evil here is the sand and salt, neither good for electronics.

I'm definitely going to fly the beach, no getting around that. Just curious to some methods people use for take off and landing to minimize any sand getting into places it doesn't belong.

A sheet of raised plywood would be perfect, but not practical to tote around. Drop cloth useless cause the sand will just blow right onto it.

Can't always bring a truck on the beach, so that's not perfect.

Anybody here do something I'm not thinking of?

yes sir & it's a good thought, but the fishing pier is run by a bunch of crotchety old timers.

I think i want to fly the beach, actually being on the beach, know what I mean?

We often fly in areas with loose, fine dirt, sand and the like. Best thing I've found is a folding camp table- think I got it at REI. We have it everywhere we go. Not as sturdy as a traditional folding table but it's strong enough to support our big machines and allow for lift offs and landings without dusting up the front element.

nick

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
For what it's worth, In Desert Storm I, they'd put pantyhose over the intake manifolds.
Got an overdressed Barbie lying around?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Collapsable camping table.

attachment.php

Dave

Holger

Use a 2x2 m bit of Shade cloth and peg it down.
All the sand falls straight through it, so you always have a clean and sand free area.
Ligh and easy to transport too.
That stuff:
utyquqyj.jpg

vybedu2u.jpg

Jeffn0506

Hi I thought I would weigh in on this as I decided to do the same thing based on my location ( I am located in south new jerzy ) the shore area . For my first flight & the first compass calibration I decided on the beach ,for many reasons . I'm pleased to say all went well & as usually you get the people that come out of the woodwork with the usually questions :
how much does it cost
how high can you fly
I didn't notice any sand getting into the aircraft , again I wasn't in the sand that long during take off & landing
I think it's the way to go
the table is a nice idea but how much can ya carry ??
happy flying

jerzy jeff