Small quads vs bigger Hexa/Octos

Dewster

Im starting to think that smaller and lighter quads are better than these heavy ships that I see and have built. They use less power, fly longer, are easy to transport And don't cause quite a stir when you fly them. Plus the stress factor goes down knowing that you don't have eight pounds of gear floating around in space. Every ship has its purpose, but are we putting too much weight in the air?

My current Y6 is about 6.5 pounds. I intend on carrying my Sony Nex 5n camera again (my flat Hexa crashed from a prop break).

I really like the flight times that people are getting with small and light quads.

Bowley

I think it all comes down to what your objective is really, if good video, you need a good gimbal really and need enough lift to carry the gimbal + camera with reasonable flight times and having a little surplus power to play with. If it still photography with a compact camera, I use my F330 most, partly because its always in my car in a small pelicase, so always available at opportune moments. cost me buttons to put together so I'm comfortable putting it places I wouldnt be with a more expensive rig, likewise the camera, refurb'd canon A490 P&S, £28, light as a feather and takes a very good pic for the price of it. The whole thing is expendable really so I dont have a care in the world but I do get very long flight times with a 3s 2600 pack.