slowing down video

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
tim,
i absolutely agree that you have to become a zen master in prop balancing to really get the most persistent vibrations to clear up but i've also found that vibrations can be rpm related and not just prop imbalance related.
when the video starts to go jello on me i study the sounds of the motors to see if there's a particular rpm value that induces the video weakness. going to a different prop whether it's larger or smaller to make the heli hover at a different RPM can clear it up where more balancing won't.
for my 5.5kg okto i find the 12x5 Xoar electric ir nitro props to be the best. an added benefit is that with 12x5's on top and 12x7's on bottom I have virtually no wobble in descending flight.
it's a tricky thing to optimize props/weights/motors/flying styles/cameras/mounts/etc. to get a great video product.
bart

DennyR

Bart
If you are seeing frequency dependent oscillations, it is probably due to insufficient rigidity in the motor arms. Although prop. balancing is essential, aerodynamic disturbance (usually seen in the descent) can twist the motor slightly and cause an eccentric movement which magnifies the vibration.

Macsgrafs

Oh right. Guess I better get looking at trying to isolate the camera even more. Will prop balancing help much? Do you think 1/200 is about right shutter speed wise?

Thanks

Andy I use 1/250 or higher, but have found different cameras require different settings to get the best from them. Take a notebook & pen, do 5 flights witht he camera on different settings ranging from 1/50 right up to 1/500 & then play the video back on your computer, at least you can see what is making a difference & what isnt.

Ross

sim_io

Never tried the built in Warp effect in cs5.5 since I am on cs5. But I agree that it should only be used to fine tune an already decent shot. otherwise you get jumps and blurs and some other weird undesirable effects. Pretty amazing what it can do though.

I run almost all my footage through cs 5.5 warp stabilizer, although my footage is already stable as it is, applying the tool gives it that steady cam feel plus you don't lose that much resolution.

Here's a sample to show you what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator: