Aeronavics / Droidworx skyjib 8 with A2.. Need Manual mode flying tips..!

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Hi guys, in some situations we don't get any satellites to fly on GPS mode like mountain or forest area.. so how do you guys deal with it..? U fly on Manual mode or Atti? I never tried to fly my skyjib in manual mode so I need your suggestions before I try it.
Do I need to change Gain settings before trying manual mode?

Thanks!

PMaughan

I use atti most of the time but certainly would if no GPS was available or is flaky. Skyjib probably isn't the best thing to learn manual on as you're much more likely to crash. I put together a little 450 to practice on.

Pete

henrysj

Atti is ur best bet but if you really wanna use manual get some expo setup on aileron and elevator - about 15% - 20% will make life a lot easier for yourself

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Yes, ATT is used without GPS.
ATT is simply Attitude Mode....maintaining leveling stability.
On a well tuned machine, there is not too much difference in flight between ATT & GPS.....
Note that GPS MODE "locks" altitude, roll & pitch position... so in ATT Mode you have to control altitude with the throttle stick and the aircraft will drift when at hover on roll and pitch in wind or gusts....additionally... when stopping from forward flight, the aircraft will continue to drift away after letting off the sticks...you have to slow down and force it into a position hold hover.

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Thanks a lot for important tips about Atti flying..
so even if I've zero satellite then also I can fly in Atti mode, right?

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Thanks a lot Andrew..! :tennis:
I wanted to ask you one more thing..
have you ever tried DJI lightbridge for video downlink only? Someone told me that lightbridge washes or all other radio signal like futaba receiver and it causes fly away..
I need your suggestions for this..
thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
In my opinion you should never fly in manual mode unless it is an emergency. The chances of zigging when you should be zagging due to orientation loss is too great and in manual mode, a loss of orientation is the quickest way to loose control and crash. I see loss of orientation causing all manner of crashes in RC helicopters and these are much easier to orientate on than a symmetrical MR! Perhaps if you keep the copter close to you then you might be fine but one thing is for sure, do not learn manual flight on your Skyjib.

Atti mode on the other hand, as the other above have mentioned, is spot on and the way to go. No GPS needed and it is a very easy mode to get to grips with even if flying your Skyjib to learn on- just use a wide open area with no obstructions.

jimska

Thanks a lot Andrew..! :tennis:
I wanted to ask you one more thing..
have you ever tried DJI lightbridge for video downlink only? Someone told me that lightbridge washes or all other radio signal like futaba receiver and it causes fly away..
I need your suggestions for this..
thanks..

Did you get an answer to this?

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Tenna.Zhang (DJI)

Dear Sir,

Yes, of course, you could use for LB for downlink only, though it's quite a waste.
To do this, you should only connect the LB Air End HDMI port to video source, and connect gimbal port for power supply.
Then, you connect LB Video Out for video display.
And you need 5.8 G receivers for your craft and gimbal separately.

DJI support team replied me this

Buzz_Roavr

In my opinion you should never fly in manual mode unless it is an emergency. The chances of zigging when you should be zagging due to orientation loss is too great and in manual mode, a loss of orientation is the quickest way to loose control and crash. I see loss of orientation causing all manner of crashes in RC helicopters and these are much easier to orientate on than a symmetrical MR! Perhaps if you keep the copter close to you then you might be fine but one thing is for sure, do not learn manual flight on your Skyjib.

Atti mode on the other hand, as the other above have mentioned, is spot on and the way to go. No GPS needed and it is a very easy mode to get to grips with even if flying your Skyjib to learn on- just use a wide open area with no obstructions.

Agreed! Why would you want to risk thousands and thousands of ££££ in manual.

I fly model Helis and would not put my ME's in manual.

jimska

Tenna.Zhang (DJI)

Dear Sir,

Yes, of course, you could use for LB for downlink only, though it's quite a waste.
To do this, you should only connect the LB Air End HDMI port to video source, and connect gimbal port for power supply.
Then, you connect LB Video Out for video display.
And you need 5.8 G receivers for your craft and gimbal separately.

DJI support team replied me this
So you're saying the pilot is on a standalone 2.4 radio and the camera op has a 5.8 radio that sends its commands over LB to control the gimbal? I thought LB transmits over 2.4 so even if the camera op has a 5.8 radio to control the gimbal the signal from the 5.8 radio gets converted to 2.4 and the pilot's radio will then be drowned out by the LB??

dazzab

I'm a bit confused about DJI manual mode. I've been told that a multirotor won't actually fly in pure manual mode in that some attitude control is required for flight. On the other hand I've been told by experienced DJI users that manual mode is good for checking the setup and balance of the machine. I've taken off accidentally in manual mode a few times and the copter was extremely erratic so I immediately switched to Atti. But taking off and flying in manual mode is a requirement for CASA testing in Australia. It really doesn't seem safe to me so I'm not sure why it would be required. So what's the deal? Is manual mode with the Wookong really no input from the FC or is it more like what they call Stabilize in the Pixhawk/Arducopter world? Should a copter fly well in just manual mode? Thanks.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Best way to describe the three modes based on your cyclic stick (pitch and roll). In GPS this stick acts as a speed demand stick and nothing else ie the further you push it the faster the aircraft will fly. In this mode the FC works out the angle it needs to fly at in order to maintain the speed. Clearly both GPS and compass are needed for this mode. In Atti mode, the stick is now an 'angle of bank' demand stick ie the further you push the stick, the greater the angle of tilt in that direction. Center stick is of course zero degrees so the copter naturally self levels. I believe that the compass is used in Atti mode but not sure how exactly. Both GPS and Atti have a max of 35 degrees tilt. In manual mode the stick becomes a 'rate of tilt' demand ie the further you push it the quicker it tilts so at center stick the copter stops tilting but as the rate demand is now zero it just stays there without leveling. There are no tilt limits in this mode so you can roll and loop your copter if you so wish! Neither GPS nor the compass are used in this mode. So, the copter happily flies in each of these modes with GPS and Atti being very easy modes to fly in due to their self leveling abilities and limits to the angle of bank. Manual mode is very difficult to fly and can take years to master. On a scale of what is easy to hard I tend to rate the following:

Easiest RC aircraft to fly (by a long way): Multirotor flying in GPS and Atti mode
Next easiest aircraft to fly although by no means is it easy: Fixed wing
By far the hardest to fly are the RC Helicopters especially if you like aerobatics!
There is only one aircraft slightly harder that the heli and that is the multi in manual mode. The only reason it is harder is because it is much harder to orientate otherwise it flies almost identically to the RC heli and is just as hard to fly.

Well, that is in the world according to me but others may well differ.

dazzab

Best way to describe the three modes based on your cyclic stick (pitch and roll).
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Part of my confusion is that I started out in the 3DR APM world which refers to the flight modes differently, and there are more of them. Cheers.