Should I join AMA and what are the benefits?

Should I join AMA and what are the benefits?

I looked on their site but did not see anything about insurance. I had heard they provide insurance for "modelers".

(update) just found that info here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf

A local flying club has a great place to fly just a couple of miles away from me but they require AMA membership to join.

AMA offers a $20.00 3 month trial.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if you want to go fly at the local field, hang out with the guys, attend meetings, etc. then go ahead and join. it's not all bad although the AMA ain't the best bargain in modeling. as a member since 1983 it's been more for the insurance than anything else although the guys in the club I belong to are a great bunch.

the insurance can be a bunch of BS though. a member here has been a control line combat world champ and at an AMA sponsored contest his lines broke and his plane hit a car. you'd think he'd be covered but he wasn't so who knows if the whole AMA thing is really worth anything. if you really want to join that local club and use their field then it's worth it i guess. a lot of guys would disagree.

bart

I'm not crazy about joining the local club. There's not much to photograph at their field, in the middle of a marsh. :-/
View attachment 10485

Attachments

• G0140672e.jpg
    G0140672e.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 147

Bartman

is it at least a heli club? i've always been an airplane guy but i hear heli's can be fun once in a while..... :shame:

It's mostly fixed wing. There are some heli guys. When I showed up with my multi-rotor, one of the members claimed I was the first to visit there with a multi.

olof

Osprey
There are a few reasons to join.

The AMA is about the strongest representation we have in Washington DC.

The insurance may help I have never collected or know of anyone who has.

Just talking to a bunch of people who have been flying RC for decades is very helpful if you are willing to listen.

The local field can be a great place to go to dial in new gear. My local field has quite a few heli flyers and 2 multi flyers, one of them has a photo/video business similar to mine and he has a very nice Draganfly. And it is just fun to watch some of the fantastic models people build.

In the winter we fly in the local gyms, and that is a great controlled space to try new gear, very safe, and it does not snow or blow a gale inside. Most local clubs only let you join if you are an AMA member. I also fly some small single rotors and a couple fixed wing models. I also have a couple RC sail boats. So maybe I am inclined this way. I grew up building models and line flying.

I joined AMA....begrudgingly....because the local club I belong to requires it. The insurance looks good on paper, but I suspect that actually collecting on it will be next to impossible should the need ever arise.

Claims that AMA is the best representation available in government may be true, more or less. However, don't forget that anything more than zero is still only slightly more than zero.

And make no mistake about it ...if you have any interest in fpv, they're more likely to throw you under the bus than pull you out from in front of it.

....sT

olof

Osprey
I joined AMA....begrudgingly....because the local club I belong to requires it. The insurance looks good on paper, but I suspect that actually collecting on it will be next to impossible should the need ever arise.

Claims that AMA is the best representation available in government may be true, more or less. However, don't forget that anything more than zero is still only slightly more than zero.

And make no mistake about it ...if you have any interest in fpv, they're more likely to throw you under the bus than pull you out from in front of it.

....sT

The local club is a great place to find a spotter for FPV. And a spotter is a good idea and the law in some countries.

Bartman

gents, the internet is full of Pro vs. Con AMA threads. let's distinguish ourselves some by keeping ours a bit above the rest, eh? carry on... :)

....like i said earlier though, a good friend and world champion flyer, lost a plane, hit a car, and was told he wasn't covered. does anyone actually know someone who did have an accident AND was able to successfully make a claim or refer damages to the AMA insurance?

Last edited by a moderator: