RTH didnt work :(

hi guys
Rebuilt my Wookong Xaircraft X650 last week from having a propellor snap mid flight. i had a flight earlier in the week and everything seemed ok.
Today i tried it out in the local playing field and everything seemed ok, i left it hovering in one place while in GPS mode then turned off the controller to see if the RTH was working correctly but it stayed there in the same place, after a minute or so it just pitched on one side and fell like a stone to the ground again. Luckily i only broke the motor mount of which i bought a spare.

Any idea why it would just pitch and fall? the battery was low ish, end of the flight round the park but normally this leads to RTH and slow decent.

Cheers

Dewster

My Hexa crashed as a result of a prop snapping in mid flight. I was able to salvage 4 motors and the WKM and use the F450 frame to test the electronics. I discovered a couple of things on my crash: The 3.5mm bullet connections on DJI's esc were loose (a result from the crash), Some wires were scathed (I had to use electrical tape), and some of the salvage motors sounded as if there was dirt,debris inside the bearings at times.

You'll have to inspect all of your connections to make sure that they are still tight and not loose. Some of my connections easily come apart after the crash, so I had crimp some, or apply electrical tape over the connection to ensure that they did not come loose during flight.

Since my craft was a Hexa until the crash, I had to go in and reconfigure my craft into a quad. I went over all of the features and the position of the IMU etc during an initial setup. You may want to calibrate your craft again.

Check to see if one of your props was loose. If its not tight enough it may still spin but not provide the response your craft needs to maintain level hover. Do over tighten though. There is a thread on here about using Nylocks to keep your props down and warn about over torquing a prop which could cause prop damage (especially on the harder/stiffer props)

I tested the WKM after the crash. I have confidence in the flight system. It's just the mechanical parts that I worry about after the crash.

snurre

@monwyhunster

Maybe you should double check your failsafe settings (in the assistant software)?
So you have not accidently choosen the just "hover" option...

Pitch and fall sounds like a power train issue.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
snurre

love the avatar. :)

naza? never tried one, sorry i can't help.

bart

DennyR

hi guys
Rebuilt my Wookong Xaircraft X650 last week from having a propellor snap mid flight. i had a flight earlier in the week and everything seemed ok.
Today i tried it out in the local playing field and everything seemed ok, i left it hovering in one place while in GPS mode then turned off the controller to see if the RTH was working correctly but it stayed there in the same place, after a minute or so it just pitched on one side and fell like a stone to the ground again. Luckily i only broke the motor mount of which i bought a spare.

Any idea why it would just pitch and fall? the battery was low ish, end of the flight round the park but normally this leads to RTH and slow decent.

Cheers

Could be the ESC shutting down on low V.

Ryan Kempley

hi guys

Cheers

To be honest, it sounds possibly like the failsafe position is only set on the throttle channel. So when the radio was switched off. It correctly remained at 50% throttle. But the aux channel that you have the attitude mode on, didnt engage to failsafe. So it remained in its last condiiton, with the battery eventually draining.

Did you check via the assistant software what happens to the two failsafe channels when you switch of the transmitter (obviously this is only to be done without the props on, and when connected via USB)?