Red Epic, Skyjib8 or Cinestar? & which gimbal?

Aviator

I am going to build a Red Epic machine, and am wondering does anyone have experience in this? I have no issues in building, only if someone has been there and done it, it would be good to know their opinions, so I can make the right decisions when building...

ChrisViperM

It's very difficult to give a valid answer to this question....

Both companies are playing in the top league....quality wise, support wise and price wise. Both companies are run by very dedicated people who know what they are doing and will do a lot to support you. Both have sucessfully been used to carry a RED and to be honest, the frame is not the most important thing to consider. It's more the mix of motor, ESC, propellers, Flight Control and Gimbal Control....all this things will be your choice and can be done on both frames. I have no experience with the Skyjib, but with the Cinestar 8. My decission was based on the following facts:

After a lot of research I did not see any advantage of one company over the other concerning the frame, but I got the impression that the Cinestar 3-Axis Gimbal was a bit above all the other gimbals avalible. At that time there was already the first rumors about the RADIAN gimbal stabilization from Freefly floating around, and my impression was that if I choose the frame (Cinestar 8), the Gimbal AND the stabilization from one company it can't be a bad choice, since the development for the RADIAN obviously was done with a Cinestar 8 frame and the 3-Axis gimbal. It would be possible to mount the 3-Axis gimbal and the RADIAN on the Skyjib...the question is: what would be the benefits ?

In your case I would contact both companies directly, tell them what you are up to and ask for advice...ask them what they did to lift their RED's....you will need advice about the mentioned motor, ESC, propellers, Flight Control and Gimbal Control combination not only from users but also from people who develope this things.

Also try to download both building-manuals and study them and see what you "like" more.....

Chris

Aviator

My existing plan is to use the skyjib8 with retractable landing gear with the 360 Cinestar gimbal and possibly the Radian?
I will contact Freefly and Droidworx and ask them their opinions..

jes1111

Tabb (FreeFly) has said recently in another thread he's been testing an Epic combo and will be offering it for sale in the near future. :)

ChrisViperM

Just consider that the retractable landing gear is not cheap and is intended to get out of sight when you rotate the camera with a "normal" gimbal. On the Cinestar 3-Axis Gimbal the landing gear is "fixed " to the gimbal, so the legs will never obstruse your sight since they move with the gimbal.

Chris

Macsgrafs

But if like me you use the legs as well as other features on your MR for orientation, then forget the cinestar gimbal...go for a PH AV200 or larger gimbal & retractable legs. I use the SJ8 & have no complaints at all, Droidworx are a superb company.

Ross

Helirazor

But if like me you use the legs as well as other features on your MR for orientation, then forget the cinestar gimbal...go for a PH AV200 or larger gimbal & retractable legs. I use the SJ8 & have no complaints at all, Droidworx are a superb company.

Ross

+1 here.

ChrisViperM

The best would be to describe exacly WHY someone has choosen a certain set-up.....might help him more to get a different angle looking at things to make his own decission.

"...forget the cinestar gimbal" doesn't do the job in this case, since there is no "this is the best product"....There is only products which are best for your personal needs...and the tricky thing is to find out what you really need. That's why I suggested to contact the companies directly since that's the first thing they will ask: "What do you want to do with it.....?"

Chris

Lanzar

As CrisViperM said. +1

There is no best and no worst. Its just what you need and how well it performs. There are many + and - on both sides.
We buidlt and tried them all and i can say that if it is set up right and it works, then its worth the money.
Personally i love cinestar mount for its flexibility, and on skyjib you can use our adapter plate and remuve most off vibrations from the frame.
New av200 with new plate and better servos are also nice.

anaka

If you gents care to read my answer again you will see I gave my reasons...orientation!!!!

hi, it would be really useful to know why you prefer the PH than the cinestar for orientation, the cinestar manages the landing gear in a clever way and looks lighter than SJ with AV200, and by my point of wiev retractile legs could fail to open or close

that's just my impression, I don't have these hardwares so I ask

jes1111

It seems to me to be a ****-eyed reason to choose a gimbal - easier orientation. There are dozens of ways to help with orientation. And there are dozens of things about a gimbal that are more important considerations than how much it helps (or confuses) your orientation.

The OP has specific camera - so the logical sequence of choices is Camera > Gimbal > Frame, i.e. which gimbal is best for that camera, and then which frame is best for that gimbal.

EDIT: it seems I'm not allowed to say ****-eyed ;) - c-o-c-k-eyed! There, I said it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Jes, you seem to be having problems believing my reason for chosing my particular set. I started 5 years ago with a trex600 & underslung mount...the legs rotated with the gimbal...so all I could see was big orange & yellow noodles, at 90 degrees to the body & when you use the skids for orientation...you can but imagine how easily it was to get confused!
So now I prefer legs that are Stationary, with coloured noodles for orientation reason...if they flip up like little wings, then that helps to see the thing as well.
As it is I fly an SJ8, not a small ship by any standards, yet 50-80mtrs away & I still get confused, especially in a high right turn! So I prefer to put things on my craft that allow better vision/orientation for ME & the big £'s I have shelled out on it. Still a c-o-c-k eyed reason?

Macsgrafs

hi, it would be really useful to know why you prefer the PH than the cinestar for orientation, the cinestar manages the landing gear in a clever way and looks lighter than SJ with AV200, and by my point of wiev retractile legs could fail to open or close

that's just my impression, I don't have these hardwares so I ask

My answer to Jes should explain. As for retracts...yes they could fail...so could a motor, so could a battery, ESC, arm, radio link...the list goes on. It's just one more risk I am willing to take. If they ever fail to come down...then I'll land her into a hedge, bush, long grass.

Ross