Recreational Use in a No Fly Zone - HELP!!!

Matt Polter

My son just purchased a DJI Spark for his YouTube channel. We live on the outskirts of the No FLy Zone area of an airport. We just got it today and he is unable to fly it in our backyard and is heartbroken.
What are my options?
Do I have to register it with the FAA?
Can I get a long term pass to use it?
I am a Realtor, am I able to register it for home pictures and make the use of it easier?
Or - am I in a pickle and do I have to get special permission every time the kid want to video himself doing flips on his trampoline?
I am new to all of this so any guidance is really appreciated.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
Just find a new location to fly it at. If you are going to to realest work you need a Part 107 to fly commercially.

Matt Polter

Thanks. The YouTube channel involves a trampoline in our back yard. So just finding another place isn't a solution.

Am I able to fly it in my back yard or no? If so, what will I need to do?

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
No you can't fly in your backyard with a DJI product, using GPS it knows where you are and if you're in a place that is permitted to fly drones.

Old Man

Unfortunately you failed to perform your "due diligence" prior to purchasing the product. You might not even be in a legitimate "no fly zone" but DJI elected to design software that prohibited flight in many areas where such prohibitions are not actually present, and require constant "unlocking" of areas that should never have been locked. Review of federal airspace charts would better inform you of what restrictions may actually be present. Bear in mind that DJI is neither authorized to enforce or design any law within the United States, or anywhere else outside of their country of manufacturer. In any case, when you connected the Spark to the internet and thereafter used it the first time you agreed to the terms and conditions withing the DJI EULA. You may wish to read it front to back at this point. Short of modifying the code through the DJI Assistant, if you can, you're pretty much screwed. An option would be to sell the Spark to someone that can use it and buy a Yuneec Breeze. The number of no fly zones used in Yuneec products are very limited in number, typically applicable only to large airports. The range of the Breeze is limited and should not create any conflict with manned aviation.

Elie 1

My son just purchased a DJI Spark for his YouTube channel. We live on the outskirts of the No FLy Zone area of an airport. We just got it today and he is unable to fly it in our backyard and is heartbroken.
What are my options?
Do I have to register it with the FAA?
Can I get a long term pass to use it?
I am a Realtor, am I able to register it for home pictures and make the use of it easier?
Or - am I in a pickle and do I have to get special permission every time the kid want to video himself doing flips on his trampoline?
I am new to all of this so any guidance is really appreciated.
Seems everything fun is against the law these days though you might be able to talk to the people at the airport for a blind eye low altitude pass. Manned aircraft pilots really don't care as long as you stay out of their space. Cant hurt to try.

OldGazer

Yep, DJI has you by the short and curlies which is just one of the reasons I fly aircraft with Pixhawk flight controllers.

For your realty work, you must be a licensed pilot or have a licensed pilot at the controls and you must get a 333 waiver from the FAA. This is due to the fact that if you fly for business purposes, you are not engaged in recreational model aviation and you are there for subject to ALL FAA rules and regulations.

Recreational registration is no longer required..

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

Dlsinak

Yep, DJI has you by the short and curlies which is just one of the reasons I fly aircraft with Pixhawk flight controllers.

For your realty work, you must be a licensed pilot or have a licensed pilot at the controls and you must get a 333 waiver from the FAA. This is due to the fact that if you fly for business purposes, you are not engaged in recreational model aviation and you are there for subject to ALL FAA rules and regulations.

Recreational registration is no longer required..

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

Dlsinak

Yes, there is a way to bypass the DJI control. I will not post how here as there are too many "experts". I takes a while, but you may be able to get DJI to respond.

OldGazer

Seems everything fun is against the law these days though you might be able to talk to the people at the airport for a blind eye low altitude pass. Manned aircraft pilots really don't care as long as you stay out of their space. Cant hurt to try.

This will not work. The issue with DJI is they (in their infinite wisdom) "hard code" No-Fly Zones into the firmware.

OldGazer

Hmmm, I must be special .... I fly with no problem in "NO FLY" zones. Yes, I have it taken care of.

Well, since you were able to circumvent the No-Fly Zone restrictions, why don't you offer to help the OP off line?

My solution is simple: Dump DJI.

Dlsinak

Well, since you were able to circumvent the No-Fly Zone restrictions, why don't you offer to help the OP off line?

My solution is simple: Dump DJI.
I not sure how contact off line. Dump DJI is definitely an option, I'm not sure it is the best one though. I will be cautious releasing the method of bypass because one person that does not understand the aviation or airspace regulations and makes a significant mistake could cost a lot for the drone flying community, essentially, some beaurocrat might write a regulation restricting us all.

Trevcharl

Just find a new location to fly it at. If you are going to to realest work you need a Part 107 to fly commercially.
There are different categories of multirotor machines, I was under the impression that the weight and size determines the category. Mini and Micro quads are regarded as toys, and they can be flown 10km from an airport, even then a max of 120m is allowed. In all the demos on youtube, nobody seems to worry, one guy even tested a quad on an airfield with planes landing! I think you need a license if you are doing work for some one else, it might pay you to check that out, if for yourself, maybe you dont need to worry. One youngster was flying a quad 3km from the airport here, they came out and checked. He was not in the flight path, and was going about 20m above ground. Nothing was done to him.

OldGazer

There are different categories of multirotor machines, I was under the impression that the weight and size determines the category. Mini and Micro quads are regarded as toys, and they can be flown 10km from an airport, even then a max of 120m is allowed. In all the demos on youtube, nobody seems to worry, one guy even tested a quad on an airfield with planes landing! I think you need a license if you are doing work for some one else, it might pay you to check that out, if for yourself, maybe you dont need to worry. One youngster was flying a quad 3km from the airport here, they came out and checked. He was not in the flight path, and was going about 20m above ground. Nothing was done to him.

Unfortunately none of that applies to an unmodified DJI product. On the other hand, if this character was flying in active airspace, either he had clearance from the tower, or he was being stupid. I hope it was the former and not the latter...

As for the original poster, as long as he has that DJI brick he is screwed, and he didn't even get dinner and a kiss...

With that being the case, my original advice is still valid: Cut your losses and dump DJI. Be advised that taking that advice carries with it some responsibilities, not the least of which is getting a pilot's license and a 333 waiver so he can legally fly to benefit his real estate endeavors. A secondary responsibility is to find each and every airport, landing strip, or what have you and make contact with those who may be in charge BEFORE you fly within 5 miles of their airspace.