REBUILD: lessons & learning to follow (PT2)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Good work Scott. Thanks for sharing. :)

Well, I don't know if I'd call it "good," but it was work nonetheless :)

Like everything else I'm doing, I need to get out to a field to continue to progress. At this point, the driveway has become too cramped and doesn't offer the sight-lines I need of the distance. Soon enough I hope, despite another couple inches of snow that fell last night and the temp dropping into the teens...

Spring is coming, right???? Or even mud season. Promise me that!

SoCal Blur

Congrats! I wonder how much the additional weight will affect the flight times? Now you just need to hook up your FPV and you're set! :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Congrats! I wonder how much the additional weight will affect the flight times? Now you just need to hook up your FPV and you're set! :)

Flight times were atrocious. I landed after about 4 minutes. The quad was hovering at about 75%. I really just did this test because I was too impatient to wait to see what a gimbal can really do. :)

Now that I've seen it - back to the drawing board with the quad weight. I have an idea that I hope might work - making a set of center section frame plates out of aluminum, which might cut down on weight. The big issues with the x650f frame are that it is A) made of glass that is thicker than it really needs to be, and B) has additional parts that are unnecessary for me - but have been used just to mount things because they have the holes that line up with the MW FC. In other words, I am married to using all the unecessary plates just to get a decent couple holes. Might as well make some myself - or completely modify the glass ones to fit what I need. Even modified, they will still be heavier than needed...

The FPV is for another build I will be starting soon. This quad was (and still is) for learning to fly and build. The next one will be moving toward my ultimate setup....

Stay tuned... (pun intended!)

jbrumberg

Sub 0° temps next two AM's in our neck of the woods. Tuesday looks awesome wind-wise for flying wind-wise with temps above freezing in the PM from the data presently.

It's not the best of care , but I have two fully charged 3S lipos in the refrigerator awaiting use in the event that conditions will allow my return to flying by Tuesday. If the data changes today, it will be discharge time.

Today and tomorrow does not look good for Spring-like conditions. Sub 0°F tomorrow AM and the next for our area.

I can safely predict that "Spring-like" conditions will return sometime in April.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
At this point I'm ok just knowing that spring will return sometime in 2014!!!! :)

Im in taking advantage of the time to solder up some bullets to the sunnysky motors I have for the other build. Expecting delivery of the FC and extra ESCs tomorrow. Then on to SimonK flashing and more soldering...

jbrumberg

90°F there A/C worries at this time of year :hororr: and I have been dealing with essentially a frozen up well that's +330' deep and no running water, and sub 0° AM temps here. The weather across the CONUS this time of year can be "interesting" :strawberry:

coreyperez

Wow, this was a big "gimbal" weekend!

I finally mounted my Zenmuse an the newly acquired H3B+. Once I get the camera and rendering options corrected, this thing will be complete. I was amazed at how awesome these little buggers are! I was even able to mount my FPV TX and record from my room (on my TV,since my monitor hasn't arrived yet)

Pretty stinking fancy!!!

As Moto said, flight time dropped significantly. I took this opportunity to get my 10" props out and see if that helped. It did increase my flight time closer back to what it was so I'm happy about that. As Moto also said, I feel like this Hex is busting its butt to stay aloft. (I started looking at Tarot Hex's last night). Something larger, stronger and down right SEXIER!

As a side note, I also managed to get my Flytrex up and running! Ok, honestly... THAT THING EFFEN ROCKS! Check out the information its logging!
http://www.flytrex.com/coreyperez13/

Corey

coreyperez

Moto,

I don't remember where the info was on your Gimbal. Where did you get it from? I checked Witespy and didn't see it there. But it also looked like so many other's I'd seen on Ebay.

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
THIS is the one I got.

The he difference between this one and the typical eBay type is the controller is built I to the mount (I think the Stella may be this way). Also, paul has chosen the parts and programming - which made it super easy other than frying it the first time :)

the zenmuse is supposed to a great gimbal. My thought was to get something cheap to practice tuning with, and enjoy it for what it is - and by the time I've outgrown it, 3-axis should be $23.95 :)

I thought you you were having issues with that flytrex??? Was that someone else?

Last edited by a moderator: