Really PC only?

adanac

I left the PC world years ago. If I buy a Naza, can I set it up with my mac or iPad? I've searched the forum and couldn't find a single post with the word "mac."!

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
Thats suprising as there have been a few pc vs mac debates on here in the past

i dont have a mac but pretty sure others have just run pc emulator software on their macs to deal with the DJI setup stuff

there a quite a few mac users on here so someone will chime in

keith

olof

Osprey
THe WKM is coming out with iPhone/iPad app but as far as I know not the Naza in the near future.

I use my MBP with Bootcamp to run the DJI SW it works perfectly, others here use the SW versions that run in parallel (no pun intended) with Mac OSX. Others have opted to buy a cheap windows laptop.

Personally I thin Bootcamp is the fastest and most robust way to run Windows on a Mac, I have tried the emulators but they are slower and have more connectivity problems than Bootcamp IMHO.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I use bootcamp, works perfectly. I'm using windows 7, which I think you have to if you have anything past snow leopard. It is annoying but it's not that often you really need to run it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I wouldnt buy anything microsoft. Get on piratebay and download a copy. After all you are only using it for a very limited time. I run mine in unregistered mode so it bothers me all the time to register. but I also use it twice a year for 10 minutes so who cares.

Dewster

I'm eagerly awaiting DJI's iPhone/ipad software and Bluetooth module. I'm using an old Window 8 Sony Vaio that's 9 years old. It seems that most of the technical/scientific software is always designed for Windows.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I assume I must then purchase Windows 7?

arnold,

the PC thing doesn't necessarily go away when the NAZA fun runs out. if you ask around you can usually find a friend with an old Windows XP based laptop in a closet or under a desk. for $50 (or free if you're lucky) the old laptop option pays off when stuff works on the first try. :)

i'm only partially indoctrinated in the iMac club though so maybe the compatibility problems using windows emulators have mostly cleared up?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I run Parallels Desktop on my MBP, it works ok for what I need it for, running windows 7. It can suck up a lot of memory and start to slow down, I at the time was not aware of bootcamp, and bought Parallels.. :(

I run Parallels Desktop on my MBP, it works ok for what I need it for, running windows 7. It can suck up a lot of memory and start to slow down, I at the time was not aware of bootcamp, and bought Parallels.. :(
The emulators are still slow as heck, but they are more reliable now. I pulled my superdrive from my MB and installed a solid state HD which I use to run Windows 7 and OSx. I purchased a kit to make the superdrive portable. I run 3 memory and storage hungry Windows apps on a regular basis though. If it was only for the Naza software I would probably opt to buy a cheapo used Windows laptop.

Cheers,
Shawn

ChrisViperM

Running VM-Ware or Paralles has a major disadvantage....since the MacOS and the emulator are running both at the same time, they have to share CPU and memory. You can set how much CPU and memory is allocated to each, but it's kack on both sides, and it takes some tweaking to run it without headache....
Bootcamp (only on Mac's with Intel hardware) is simple to set up, and once installed, you either boot into Windows or MacOS...in both you have full hardware power, and a Windows version you need in any case. I tried both, but will stay with Bootcamp

Chris

shco1t

I also use bootcamp with no problems, and you allocate how much space you want for each system, works great and very simple to setup.

Bluerex

Not wanting to contribute to the platform wars, BUT...
I use VWWare etc on my MBP when I need to, and the technology is pretty damn impressive, but the sad thing (and what these software vendors don't seem get) is that while I can run an emulator (or boootcamp) to get to a windows desktop... I don't want to! There are a heap of cross-platform technologies out there - just give me a naive Mac version and stop pretending that the ability to run windows (on Apple hardware) is good enough.

C

(Who has several MacBooks, iMacs, Linux and Windows machines in active service - but prefers a Mac as my daily driver)
PS. The truly funny thing is when I have to use my MBP to run an old bit of windows XP software that refuses to run on my new windows 7 netbook :highly_amused:

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I wouldnt buy anything microsoft. Get on piratebay and download a copy.

Promoting theft of copyright in a public forum, you better believe that's a paddlin ;)

There is also Oracle VirtualBox which is the same as Parallel's but free. This plus Windows XP/7/8 is a good option if you don't want to reformat your mac or shift partitions for Bootcamp.