Questions Multistar 30 amps ESC

Hood49

Dear all,

I recently had to rebuild my quad after a very nasty crash. I lost orientation in FPV and was going too far. Hit the RTH but unfortunately there was a tree in the flight path: burnt out all the motors and the ESC's.

I ordered the same motors: SunnySky 980kv (they are a dream).

However, I still had 4 ESC's (Multistar 30amp) laying around. For my first built I did not want to use them because of the fact that there was not good feedback. I thought I might as well give it a go. I did not have a programming card so It was a pain to program via the Radio (stick programming). You cannot calibrate these. They are plug and play apparently. However, NO simonK.

Yesterday I have done my first test flight. For starters the idle was much higher than with my other (simonK) ESC's. But that is just something to get used to. It flies pretty good and it is reactive. Nice and punchy. However when hovering at 50% throttle it wobbles. I have tried to tweak the gains but it does not cure it. I have checked everything (props, flight modes, interference with FPV,...).

I guess it is just down to crappy ESC's. It is pretty much wat people are saying on the fora.

QUESTION: what are good ESC for a 4S configuration and the SunnySky 2012 980kv motors (I have a NAZA Lite)? I thought of the Afro ESC 30 A SimonK Best For Multi-rotor Quadcopter Hexacopter 30A Not Plush. Or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-30A-Sim...sGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a43ab7070.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Hood49

Thanks for your recommendation. Going to do another couple of test flights with the Multistars. Now I have done a IMU calibration with my Naza (it was slightly off...). I only adjusted the pitch and roll gains, not the attitude, yaw and vertical. I will tweak around with that as well. If it is still the same I will get the Afro's.

Hood49

I have made sure I have turned the brake off (do not really know what it does).
What do you mean with controller?

Setup
Naza Lite
Custom Carbon Frame
SunnySky 2012-980kv
Multistar ESC
4S Gens-Ace 4000Mah
10x5 props
Graupner GR-24 / MX-20
Mobius HD camera
FatShart Predator

Flies about 15 minutes

The Afro's are pretty cheap at HobbyKing. They are simonK flashed. Might as well get those.

The break practically does that. It brake the motor when is close to stops. Istead of reducing rpms by itself the motor, the esc brakes it. The controller I reger to the Naza lite. I had the naza lite before. I had thatvproblem and found that in my case my setup with 12 was over power and the esc/motor combination wasnt able to keep turning at slow rpm. So the naza start like a "fight" with the motor to keep them turning. I had to reduce prop size to keep highere rpms. So in hovering it can keep the 50% stick position. Try with a smaller prop to check if become more stable

FlyGirl

Just as an example of what an ESC set to brake is used for... I have a Radian motor glider with folding prop. When I cut the motor I don't want the propeller to free wheel which would cause drag but with the brake set the motor stops and the props are able to fold.

Hood49

I understand what the brake is for now. Thanks.

Good thing I set it to "off". I had to set the idle speed at "Low" in the assistant. When I set it to "recommended" it almost takes off when arming the motors.

I tweaked with the gains again flew it yesterday. Went pretty good actually. I think I am going to keep it like it is for the time being.

FlyGirl

I understand what the brake is for now. Thanks.

Good thing I set it to "off". I had to set the idle speed at "Low" in the assistant. When I set it to "recommended" it almost takes off when arming the motors.

I tweaked with the gains again flew it yesterday. Went pretty good actually. I think I am going to keep it like it is for the time being.

Good to hear it's behaving like you want and yes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! LOL!

Hood49

Yes, these things are a mystery sometimes.
Hey FlyGirl, maybe you can help me. I guess it is an embarrassing noob question: I have a Mobius HD camera and the files are always broken up in 1.16GB files. You know what I am doing wrong?

FlyGirl

Yes, these things are a mystery sometimes.
Hey FlyGirl, maybe you can help me. I guess it is an embarrassing noob question: I have a Mobius HD camera and the files are always broken up in 1.16GB files. You know what I am doing wrong?

Well, I don't have a Mobius but I think it has many of the same settings as the previous 808 camera did. If so there is a setting for recording time in there... It will always record clips but if you set the clip length at "Max" (I suspect yours is set for 3 mins) it will record 4GB clips which usually is more than enough time. :)

FlyGirl

Spot on. I have been in the settings and set the recording time on "max"
Thanks!

Terrific! And you're more than welcome! :)

By the way, HobbyKing just came out with a brushless gimbal for the Mobius. I have no idea if it's any good or not but I think I read that it uses the same controller as the Tarot T-2D for the GoPro which I know works well as that's the one I have. Have fun flying!

Last edited by a moderator: